Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Trailer Tuesday.........

Date: 10/16/18 09:06
Trailer Tuesday.........
Author: Fiftyfooter

"Keep On Truckin', By Train"

Date: 10/16/18 09:09
Re: Trailer Tuesday.........

Keep Your Tuesday Movin'.............

Date: 10/16/18 09:26
Author: RRBMail

My word, are we down to spotting trailers? First steam went, then cabooses and now freight cars, when will it end? Oh well, to each their own...

Date: 10/16/18 10:28
Author: MC6853

RRBaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My word, are we down to spotting trailers? First
> steam went, then cabooses and now freight cars,
> when will it end? Oh well, to each their own...

Well trailers and containers are the modern-day boxcars, and folks used to enjoy "spotting" those...

For most BNSF or CSX trains these days, mostly led by identical sets of dull dirty GEVOs or ETs, the containers are the most interesting part...

Posted from Android

Date: 10/16/18 11:09
Author: Gonut1

You caught a Road Rail on the Rail Road.
Gonut

Date: 10/16/18 11:16
Author: nm2320

No graffiti!

Date: 10/16/18 13:18
Author: Greyhounds

RRBaron Wrote:

Change will never end.  And you're right, "To each their own."

I really like those photos of pig trains.  Especially with all those reefers and LTL pups.

Date: 10/16/18 13:29
Author: mearsksealand

Keep them coming enjoy the images

Dale Smith

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/16/18 14:48
Author: SCKP187

Makes for pretty neat looki8ng trains.  Especially like keeping the trailers off the highway.
Brian Stevens

Date: 10/16/18 17:29
Author: ironmtn

RRBaron Wrote:

Yup, some of us are down to spotting trailers -- also. I number myself among the folks who do so, and who enjoy it (and I photograph them too, and have posted a few here on TO in the past). One reason why I favor BNSF in the West -- still plenty of TOFC. And I like their marketing philosophy of working to get customers to go intermodal by being as open to TOFC as container. I enjoy seeing a trailer on their rails from a trucker I haven't seen there before, or which I'm surprised to see there. Proud that they could nab the business, and hope they'll keep it and grow it. Previous posters are correct: trailers are also a lot like the variety in boxcars in times of yore, and as TOFC gradually fades it has that aura of history to it, too. I'm the same way with marine containers, and look forward to trains that have a lot of ocean carrier traffic.

They bring a lot of variety to intermodal consists that seemingly endless strings of JB Hunt boxes somehow just don't give. That's the pure train watcher perspective, which of course is worth zero as a business proposition. Mind you, I'm not complaining about those Hunt containers. No way. Very, very glad that the carriers have them, and best wishes for many, many more (and for long strings of others, too). Delighted for the business. Glad for the railroads, and glad for Hunt and its customers. Same with Schneider, FedEx, and others.

Yes, to each their own. Great that we can enjoy something, while recognizing the business and economic case for other things. Some enjoyment, some business. It's a great hobby, isn't it?

MC
Muskegon, Michigan

Date: 10/17/18 09:36

RR Baron"My word, are we down to spotting trailers? First steam went, then cabooses and now freight cars, when will it end? Oh well, to each their own..."

Yes down to spotting trailers! You see I used to just look only at the locomotives, freight cars and cabooses too. 

But I also realized, that intermodal and double stacks are a huge and interesting part of railroading that we see every day. It is not just the trailers, but the companies they represent and the destinations and the origins of
where those trains are going. Go to Cajon Pass for a day and you will be impressed to see stacks and trailers move the International and US economies in a show of force unrivaled the world over.
Take the time to learn more about intermodal, and you might find there are many things to appreciate how this form of logistical transportation help
make us the best country in the world!

Believe it or not, some find this form of railroading more appealing to model, than chuff chuff steam, old 40ft cars and cabooses. You are absolutely right "to each is their own" and that is the
great thing about people liking different eras and all of us having a forum to present it on. 

Many of these trailers and stacks are painted really nice and I encourage you to take the time to appreciate them for what they are and do for all of us every day!
Instead of wishing for your railroad past that is long gone!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/18 09:44 by Fiftyfooter.

Date: 10/17/18 12:46
Author: spider1319

A while back I saw the old 199(BNSF WSPNBY)and it was all trailers,about 7500 feet and did it look coolThanks for posting.Bill Webb

Date: 10/18/18 02:56
Author: Fizzboy7

Another excellent series of trailers.    Having been a train and truck fan all my life, intermodal is about as much of a heaven on earth as I'll ever find.    Please keep them coming!

Date: 10/18/18 11:14
Author: gmojim

Love the truck trailers on piggyback, the way intermodal started. Keep the photos coming. I am always more interested in what is on the train than in the locomotives except special locomotives which are rare.
Intermodal trailers and containers are especially interesting as they are graffiti free. Some intermodal rail cars have graffiti from being stored in remote areas, but the containers and trailers are clean. Manifest trains today are somewhat depressing with all the crap painted on them.

gmojim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0718 seconds