Home Open Account Help 256 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > My railfan buddy

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 11/19/18 06:57
My railfan buddy
Author: GBW309

For the past 5 years, my usual "railfan buddy" has been my Great Dane, Ryker.  This dog absolutely lives for the moment that we "go for a ride" , He has a sixth sense when I'm about to leave for some train watching.  He's really quite intuitive. He knows the difference between a regular work day but immediately becomes excited when I grab the camera bags.  He starts talking in his own way, bouncing around the house, and when I open the garage door, goes tearing past me to the truck!  He's great company too.  Not really picky on dinning choices, doesn't complain about my driving and if the wait gets too long, he just lays down and takes a nap!  

Have a great Monday.

Dave

Date: 11/19/18 06:59
Re: My railfan buddy
Author: goneon66

you have been blessed.  enjoy your time with your loyal friend.......

Date: 11/19/18 07:04
Author: reel_smooth

That 2nd shot with you & the dog as a shadow is awesome! 

Date: 11/19/18 07:09
Author: Jbarton

What a great story.  I also really like photo 2.  Our little guy has been around steam engines enough that he actually seems to enjoy all the sights, smells and sounds associated with them.

Jim Barton 

Date: 11/19/18 07:31
Author: WM_1109

Thanks for sharing all of them. But, yeah, the 2nd shot is the winner.
-Ted

Date: 11/19/18 07:48
Author: icancmp193

Man's best friend!

TJY

Date: 11/19/18 08:05
Author: santafe199

What an extraordinary story, heartwarming to say the least! Ryker sure is a magnificent looking companion. I can see the enthusiasm in those soulful eyes. I had a Jack Russell named Daisy who was my frequent railfan companion for a few short but precious years. Like Ryker, she got excited out of her mind whenever I grabbed my camera bag and asked her if she wanted to "go shoot some trains?" I lost Daisy to cancer a year ago, and I miss her terribly...

A few years ago a TO member posted a thread asking other members about their K9 railfanning partners. It was a great thread, but I can't seem to find it in the archives. Can someone provide a link?

Lance/199

Edit: Aha! I found that thread: https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,2481378,2481378#msg-2481378
plus another related thread I posted back in '16: https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,3935872,3935872#msg-3935872

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/18 08:24 by santafe199.

Date: 11/19/18 08:27
Author: the_expediter

This site has gone to the Dogs...literally !...Nyuck Nyuck

Posted from Android

Date: 11/19/18 08:45
Author: trainsfireengine

Photo #2 is my choice for IOTD,"Image Of The Dane". A great look at a long reflection on an outstanding friendship!

Date: 11/19/18 08:51
Author: holiwood

Dogs like to go train watching

Date: 11/19/18 09:00
Author: GNJack

Dogs and railfanning. Is there really a better combo?

Jack Pappas
Spokane, WA

Date: 11/19/18 09:39
Author: NKP715

Not ashamed to say it brought a tear to my eye - - 
my buddy's no longer with me.  Make that "tears."

Date: 11/19/18 09:55
Author: dan

lets get you rescuing another

Date: 11/19/18 12:00
Author: bmarti7

Thanks for this dog-loving post. JJ was exposed to trains from the beginning of his 12 years. We lost JJ last spring to cancer, He loved to r-i-d-e and would bark at the trains (only moving ones) "where's the train?"

BB

Date: 11/19/18 13:51
Author: Tominde

Good stuff.  I echo the IOTD nomination.

Date: 11/19/18 18:28
Author: RailRat

Cool post! I like!

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Date: 11/19/18 22:20
Author: wa4umr

I had a Minature Schnauzer that was my buddy.  I don't think he cared whether we were going train watching or just "going for a ride."  He just liked going for a ride.  I lost him 7 years ago.  I'd love to have another like him but I'm an organ transplant recipient and have been advised to not clean up after animals since I'm on immunosuppressing drugs.  

I had been watching a MOW crew one day and decided it was time to go.  Before we left, I opened a bottle of water and let my puppy drink out of it.  One of the MOW guys said to me, "I've seen a lot of things but I've never seen a dog drink out of a bottle like that."  

John

Date: 11/20/18 05:14
Author: dpudave

photo number two, I'm still grinning. d

Date: 11/20/18 06:40
Author: Crabbshell

Awesome, the second shot says it all. Have a fantastic Thanksgiving

Wayne Crabb
San Gabriel, CA

Date: 11/20/18 07:55
Author: IC_2024

Photo #2 instantly reminded me of Snoopy’s shadow in the “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown”!

Much as Charles Schulz gave us a better world with a boy and his dog, you and your faithful companion out railfanning together remind me of how important the not so little things are... Wonderful story... IOTD, indeed!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/18 09:48 by IC_2024.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0423 seconds