Home Open Account Help 274 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > More Rare Birdies for Fiftyfooter

Date: 12/04/18 01:44
More Rare Birdies for Fiftyfooter
Author: funnelfan

I'm always on the lookout for Pacific Northwest Private Industry cars to model. I've been buying slides off E-bay when I find something interesting and rare. Here are some of the latest examples.
1. Plywood Marketing Association of Vancouver, WA had several members with cars decorated for various members. The cars were originally forest green with white lettering, but in the 70's they were repainted in this orange-yellow scheme with black lettering. Lacey Co-Ply of Lacey, WA was one of the members, others included Linnton Plywood, Stevenson Co-Ply, North Pacific Plywood (Tacoma, WA), Hoquiam Plywood, and Fort Vancouver Plywood. Photo dates to 1978.

2. Willamette Industries had a number of Evans RBL's in red or green with white lettering, but this oddball double plug door boxcar photographed in 2013 caught my eye.

3. This Montana Talc 60' Greenville double plug door boxcar is a real find. The car is a close match to the Con-Cor/Robin Rails model with some minor difference in the doors. Going to do artwork for a decal set of this car, which was caught in Livingston, MT in 1993.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/18 01:46 by funnelfan.

Date: 12/04/18 07:16
Re: More Rare Birdies for Fiftyfooter
Author: the_expediter

Those are Very Intersting...THX...Stevie  in Grossmont CA

Date: 12/04/18 08:51
Author: Jeff

What is the paint color of the Montana Talc car?  Silver, white, grey?  Jeff

Date: 12/04/18 08:56
Author: Fiftyfooter

Ted, thanks for posting all 3 of these, you did a fine job capturing their true color in the brilliant sun! So sweet to look at the beautiful, bright paint schemes on these cars with no graffiti.
They are all super photos, but that Montana Talc car is as my fishing buddies say "Off the Hook"! You are right a great HO project right there ready for making!
I wonder if any of these are around or got saved! Anyone know how many MT cars were built, this guy looks like possibly number 16 of the series?

I think it is safe to say we all like the "Rare Birdies", keep letting them out of the cage to fly free.

Happy Holidays!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/18 08:58 by Fiftyfooter.

Date: 12/04/18 09:28

The Montana Talc car was white.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 12/04/18 10:38
Author: Ritzville

Nice look back Ted!!

Larry

Date: 12/04/18 10:57
Author: loopy7764

Offhand, Astoria Plywood was another lessor of the PMA design.
Evans, Thrall, and especially NACC had the greatest variety of unique car liveries, and I'm always finding more of which I keep a list, primarily LU and RBLs. It really is too bad what trains have become - another nameless desecrated brown boxcar, gray hopper, black tank car - to the general public, just another boring train of little relevance.

Date: 12/04/18 11:03

loopy7764 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Offhand, Astoria Plywood was another lessor of the
> PMA design.

Interesting, I had not seen a photo of a PMA car with Astoria Plywood, but plenty of the red Astoria Plywood cars.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 12/04/18 11:08

Another little mystery is I have this photo of a NADX P-S 60' waffle sided boxcar very close in number to the Montana Talc Car, 10 or more of these cars were sold to the MRL and placed in a 8000 number series. I'm thinking these cars could have been decorated for Montana Talc as well at one point. There is some more related stuff that I cannot get into at the moment as I need to go to work.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0528 seconds