Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > The Waiting

Date: 12/11/18 09:54
The Waiting
Author: santafe199

Remember those lazy Autumn afternoons when you were a kid? You’d be out in your neighborhood trying to squeeze out every last second of daylight before Mom called you in for supper. You were happily occupied with whatever games you played, sometimes with other kids. And then you heard it! A distant horn sound that only a future railfan could hear. You immediately dropped everything and ran like the wind for the nearest crossbucks. In the waning afternoon light you absolutely HAD to beat the train to the crossing so you could exchange waves with the lordly engineer, and start counting the cars. No matter that 10 minutes later you would forget how many cars the train had. The count just had to be made, followed by another friendly exchange with the conductor.

As your little legs churned you went into that special panic. You were scared you wouldn’t win, and personal dishonor would surely follow. But somehow you always won the race. Now you would stand there, excitedly out of breath. Looking down those twin steel glimmers was the sparkling headlight! It was getting closer. It would finally get there to your crossing and your latest ritual could begin. But Tom Petty was right: The Waiting was always the hardest part…

1. Looking into a fading sunset west of Strong City, KS on the BNSF La Junta Sub on October 26, 2018.

2. Looking west from the Florida Rd crossing east of Pomona, KS on the BNSF Emporia Sub on November 10, 2018.

3. UP 8072 approaches the Schoeman Rd crossing east of Belvue, KS on the KP on November 20,2018.

Thanks for waiting!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/18 09:55 by santafe199.

Date: 12/11/18 10:46
Re: The Waiting
Author: bmarti7

No. 2 is another one of your IOTD candidates.

BB

Date: 12/11/18 10:57
Author: RayLewis

Very nice scenes!

Ray

Date: 12/11/18 11:32
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE Sunset series. It does bring back memories of chuggung down on my bike to the wig-waged crossing to meet the train and follow it into down. Then standing by to watch the switching action at the packing houses with my uncle at the throttle. I was lucky, I enjoyed many rides in the cab.

Larry

Date: 12/11/18 19:45
Author: 1locoeng

Outstanding

ENGINEER MIKE HERNANDEZ
Diamond Bar, CA

Date: 12/12/18 05:00
Author: santafe199

Thanks guys, you're very gracious... :^)

Lance

Date: 12/12/18 15:12
Author: isambard

Wow.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.046 seconds