Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > COLD New Years Day

Date: 01/04/19 05:55
COLD New Years Day
Author: kyrasmus

Woke up New Years Day in Staples, Minnesota to a temperature of -27 F. (I think the daytime high peaked around -4 F) At that temp, birght sunshine is about the only atmospheric condition one can expect - so I headed out trackside for a couple hours and fortunately BNSF was moving traffic through the area at the time.

1) The 8 track yard at Staples is void of free tracks, as 18 inches of fresh snow in the last 5 days is starting to indicate dwell time for some cars. Frieght is rolling on both mainlines though: a westbound stacker has just passed through town and is accelerating west toward Dilworth. Coming east, an all-loads manifest out of the Red River Valley is decelerating for the 25 mph curve.

2) A Becker-bound coal loads is tied down on track 1 of Staples yard showing signs of battling snow on its trip east from the Powder River Basin, as the eastbound manifest rolls by.

3) With easily visible heat radiating from the dynamic brakes, the eastbound gets ready to take the clear signal at CP Staples and swing southeast toward Northtown.

Kyle Rasmussen
Centerville, UT

Date: 01/04/19 07:12
Re: COLD New Years Day
Author: King_Coal

The snow just blows around when it's that cold. That was really a pain when I worked in Chicago. Hard sledding for yard crews. Looks like some intermodal and auto cars laid down for the holiday. Good photos.

Date: 01/04/19 10:09
Author: zfan

Cool pics and description.  Can't imagine enduring temps like that!  Am sick of low teens here in Ogden, Utah the past few mornings. 

Date: 01/04/19 13:05
Author: ntharalson

Enjoyed your shots ending and beginning the year.  There appears to be some sort of overpass over the Staples Yard these days
I definetly don't remember.  And, of course, the former engine house is long gone where I spent an afternoon wandering around
with a friend back in the 60's.  Thanks for posting.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 01/04/19 15:29
Author: kyrasmus

Yes the overpass they built is perfect for photography - sidewalks on both sides (I believe) and no chain link! They closed one of the two crossings at the east end, but still plenty of photo options around the area. Lucky that the in-laws picked a great RR town to retire to!

Date: 01/04/19 18:29
Author: brc600

Amtrak stops here, but in darkness both directions. Any shots of the depot? Thanks!

King_Coal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The snow just blows around when it's that cold.
> That was really a pain when I worked in Chicago.
> Hard sledding for yard crews. Looks like some
> intermodal and auto cars laid down for the
> holiday. Good photos.

Date: 01/04/19 20:27
Author: coach

Can't imagine working in those temps--full credit and respect to anyone who does!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0702 seconds