Home Open Account Help 305 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Blanco en Blue Canon

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 01/06/19 13:44
Blanco en Blue Canon
Author: BoilingMan

An EB went by the house and I decided to see if I could run up and catch him at Blue Canon.  Last Summer I picked up an old Subaru to use for photo work, so the purpose of the chase was as much to try out the car in the snow as get the roll-by. I got the shot, and the little Subie got me in and out of Blue Canon drama free. 
I'm pleased.
SR

Date: 01/06/19 13:45
Re: Blanco en Blue Canon

Date: 01/06/19 13:50
Author: zfan

Beautiful pics!!  Those little Subarus can be workhorses. 

Date: 01/06/19 14:19
Author: DKay

Wonderful set of pics.Have been watching the Truckee webcam,looks to be coming down heavy now.
Regards,dK

Date: 01/06/19 14:25
Author: Doodle

You make a very routine and boring empty grain train look interesting and unique.

Nice series!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/06/19 14:29

Grain Train Lives Matter
SR

Date: 01/06/19 14:41
Author: Copy19

That first shot is a work of art.

JB - Omaha

Date: 01/06/19 14:54
Author: icancmp193

I was a Subaru guy for 34 years, but recently switched to an AWD Honda CRV.

TJY

Date: 01/06/19 15:01
Author: callum_out

I'm on my third Outback, friends don't let friends drive Hondas!

Out

Date: 01/06/19 15:05

Well, my daughter and both my sisters drive Subies, so they're kinda in the family.  And there are thousands of them up here in Placer County, so advice, parts, and mechanics are easy to come by.  I saw this one on Craigs List for $1500, so DEAL.
SR

Date: 01/06/19 15:13
Author: callum_out

Subaru is the number one selling brand in Colorado and the largest Subie dealership in the US is in Las Vegas,
a testament to the brutal Vegas Winters.

Out

Date: 01/06/19 15:27

This is my first Japanese car. I’ve always gone Euro: German, British, Swedish, and even French (THAT didn’t go well!). I just find them interesting.
For trucks I’ve gone American, of course.
But this little Subie is right up there will proper bags & tripods when it comes to camera gear. As I said, I’m very pleased.
SR

Date: 01/06/19 15:29
Author: reno7349

You are lucky to get the pictures.   80 is closed from Colfax to the Nevada state line.  The Truckee web cam illustrates why I have a deep respect for Sierra snow storms.

Date: 01/06/19 15:37

Ah! I thought something was going on- we’re getting a flood of cars coming through Dutch Flat right now. That usually means I-80 is closed and everyone is trying to find a secret back way. (There is none)
If I hear an EB coming up through Gold Run I might run out to Gorge. It’s only about 3mi and no freeway involved.
SR

Date: 01/06/19 16:25
Author: TCnR

Also have had 'baroos for many years, they are snow dogs but a little less so each year. A big detraction is not having any after market protection available as in bumper guards or belly pans. There is/was a guy in Ttigard that was making belly pans for certain years and models.

Auburn Subaru had been a very good place for Subaru maintainance, at one time anyways. This forum had been pretty good for finding fix it stories: https://www.subaruforester.org/

Date: 01/06/19 16:54
Author: PHall

reno7349 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You are lucky to get the pictures.   80 is
> closed from Colfax to the Nevada state line.  The
> Truckee web cam illustrates why I have a deep
> respect for Sierra snow storms.

He has a small advantage, he lives up there so he doesn't have to play games with the CHP.

Date: 01/06/19 18:18

Actually, I would not have been able to get to Blue Cañon once the CHP threw flags on the play (“Everyone out of the pool!”). Baxter to the Blue Canyon Exit is a gauntlet- it’s the one stretch on I-80 where there are no side roads. The CHP spots patrol cars at strategic on/off ramps and effectively stops EVERYTHING
SR

Date: 01/06/19 18:20
Author: shortlineer

I caught the no-grainer and a couple other trains at Dutch Flat before giving up and heading home. I didn't want to risk it with the crazy weather and crazy drivers.

Nice shots btw...

Date: 01/06/19 18:48
Author: coach

BoilingMan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ah! I thought something was going on- we’re
> getting a flood of cars coming through Dutch Flat
> right now. That usually means I-80 is closed and
> everyone is trying to find a secret back way.
> (There is none)

I recently stayed at the Dutch Flat Hotel, and it was wonderful.  Very historic, and they LOVE weather like this, as everyone is looking for a precious room for the night.  I bet they're sold out right now.  Great place to hang out in a snowstorm--very well stocked big kitchen where guests can cook up their own meals with all the food that's there.  Small, old grocery store across the street has all the basics, including great frozen beef from a local butcher.

Date: 01/06/19 19:01

Good for you, yes I imagine the DF Hotel would be fun in a snowstorm. It recently changed hands and we’re all hoping the new owners will take the next step and re-open the restaurant for breakfast.
Abe has been running the DF Trading Post (the store) for about 25yrs now- and doing a great job. He’s much loved here.
SR

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0489 seconds