Home Open Account Help 275 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Living Past Chases

Date: 01/06/19 16:40
Living Past Chases
Author: twjurgens

In the 80's and into the early 2000's, BN and its successor BNSF ran a tri-weekly local between Crete and Wymore, NE.  I followed that local several times shooting video and photos to document the traffic on this once busy Q branch.

Fellow TO member Scotty and I took a rail fan trip last Thursday that I haven't done since 2000.  At that time, the line still went all the way to Wymore but the track from Beatrice to Wymore was removed in 2002.
At the small BNSF yard south of Crete, we met up with our friend, Dave Doering who would join us in the chase.  2318 and 3005 were making up their train and headed south when that was done. The first shot is about a mile south of the small yard (visible in the distance) south of Crete.  The next 2 shots show the train switching at the Farmland plant south of Crete. 

(more)  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/19 17:23 by twjurgens.

Date: 01/06/19 16:43
Re: Living Past Chases
Author: twjurgens

The 4th shot is again at Farmland and the last two shots are of the train passing through the ghost town of Shestak, just south of the Farmland plant. The only info that our friends at Wikipedia knew about Shestak is that it had a post office in 1893 and 1894 and it was named for Veclav Sestak.  I remember seeing a wooden elevator there but it has been gone since the 60's or 70's.  At one time after that, there was a small cold storage facility there but it too is gone.  The last shot is black and white because it didn't look good in color.
 Got lots of photos in different locations on this trip and will post more later.  This was a great trip that I hope to do again

Date: 01/06/19 19:05
Author: krm152

Definitely like all of your photos and interesting narrative.
The cabs have certainly been adorned with some interesting appliances.
ALLEN

Date: 01/06/19 20:28
Author: SCKP187

Nice catches and photos.  I always like to see locals and their work.
Brian Stevens

Date: 01/06/19 20:36
Author: santafe199

Nice chase, all the way around. Like Brian, I really liked chasing locals and shooting their station work "back in the day"...

Willie W

Date: 01/07/19 04:40
Author: bmarti7

Nice Tom! Thanks for sharing.

BB

Date: 01/07/19 09:25
Author: oklachaser

Great photos.

Ronda Thomas

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.035 seconds