Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Historical Perspectives

Date: 01/09/19 15:35
Historical Perspectives
Author: DMac

From Trains Jan. issue:  NRHS will hold there annual convention May 7-12 in Salt Lake City,   w/RLHS,  UPHS & SPHS all holding joint convrentions in Ogden early May in run up to UP's 150th celebration in Ogden.  I thank the Sacramento Museum is sending some steam also.

Respectfully
DMac

Danny McLean
Center, TX

Date: 01/09/19 17:59
Re: Historical Perspectives
Author: CPRR

I very seriously doubt that CSRM is sending any steam locomotives to this event.....

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/09/19 18:10
Author: cchan006

CPRR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I very seriously doubt that CSRM is sending any
> steam locomotives to this event.....

As for operable steam, Granite Rock #10 will have to do. Someone will have to come up with a story to make #10 relevant to the Golden Spike.

They can haul UP 4466 to Ogden, but I haven't heard any efforts to bring her back to steam, and it's probably too late for that. UP 4466 used to be operable, and this might be missed opportunity to restore her back to operation.

Date: 01/09/19 20:28
Author: gbmott

gonx Wrote:
> Plans can change or is there a 100% certainty that
> there are no unforseen dilemmas that might delay
> the 4014?

I think anyone who has had the slightest experience with steam will tell you that there is NEVER 100% certainty of no unforeseen dilemmas.  It would be closer to say that you can pretty well count on the unexpected hiccup.

Gordon

Date: 01/09/19 21:32
Author: cchan006

gonx Wrote:
> Is it also possible for 844 to be the only steamer
> heading west?
>
> Plans can change or is there a 100% certainty that
> there are no unforseen dilemmas that might delay
> the 4014?

The 150th Anniversary of the Golden Spike is more important than the Big Boy. With that in mind, sane people shouldn't victimize themselves with the false expectations that 4014 is necessary for the celebration. The presence of UP 844 and hopefully, UP 6936 (DDA40X is nicknamed "Centennial" for a reason) is sufficient enough for me as far as UP is concerned. If 4014 does show up, then it's a nice bonus.

Date: 01/10/19 12:00
Author: Bob3985

I remember when we took the 844 to Ogden for the 125th and while on display there the corporate tain passed us on the way to Brigham City with the set of E units. As the Lewis's business car passed us we gave a proper salute on 844's whistle.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0432 seconds