Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Donner Balloon Track Question

Date: 01/16/19 00:27
Donner Balloon Track Question
Author: BoilingMan

When flangers turn on the West Balloon Track (near Blue Cañon), do they go clockwise or counter clockwise?
In other words- when approaching the Balloon, do they enter the 1st or 2nd switch to turn on the loop?
Thanks!
SR

Date: 01/16/19 04:53
Re: Donner Balloon Track Question

Okay, yeah it looks pretty steep, but thought I’d better check to be sure. I’m guessing they hand throw the switches. I hear the dispatcher asking to confirm positions when they leave.
Thanks
SR

Date: 01/16/19 09:48
Author: IC_2024

Also, the crossover is on the east end which makes it easier to immediately head for the 2 track and SW 9 for another pass over the Hill.
Years ago, those jobs paid really well since you could get a couple days pay since those fast flangers would double back during a storm.

My old engr Abe didn’t like catching the “slow” rotaries which meant lower pay ( mileage) and a lonnnnng day slugging along.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/19 09:51 by IC_2024.

Date: 01/16/19 10:58
Author: 1ST_OUT

Clockwise, and not due to the grade. We go clockwise to facilitate the move. We drop the brakeman off at the top switch, the brakeman cleans the switch after we go by and opens the switch to preserve our authority on the main. When we come back to the top switch we pull by lock up and head back to switch nine. Most of the time we don't mess with the two track unless it gets really bad. I had to run around a local there once not that steep either way.

Date: 01/16/19 11:23

Thanks.  I'm going to try to get in there for photos and just like to understand the moves to stay out of the way.
SR

Date: 01/16/19 13:22
Author: RayLewis

Here is a shot of a flip at Fulda. Pull up, dig snow, enter balloon dig more snow, head back east. Taken on 3 Feb 2008....Superbowl Sunday.

Ray Lewis

Date: 01/16/19 13:46

Whoa! Nice pic!
SR

Date: 01/16/19 13:50
Author: Lackawanna484

BoilingMan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Whoa! Nice pic!
> SR

Realy nice.

Looks like a painting

Date: 01/16/19 14:28

Thanks...its hard to watch you guys post all this Donner snow stuff. Been too long for me!

Date: 01/16/19 14:41

RayLewis Wrote:
> Thanks...its hard to watch you guys post all this
> Donner snow stuff. Been too long for me!

Ha!  I was raised in Santa Barbara where the weather is all but benign.  I moved up here on The Hill 35 odd years ago and the winters still intrigue me!
SR

Date: 01/16/19 14:46

Was stationed at Travis AFB for 2 short years. Was awesome being that close, but it was 6 months after Sept 11th so I was never there. Im usually up there every winter. But only once since 2011 unfortunately. Im hoping this year but need mid Feb to late March to be good. Cant go til then:(

Date: 01/16/19 15:19
Author: DynamicBrake

SR, thanks for starting this thread.  Your question provided some good info input.  Ray, thanks for your contribution as well, a truly REMARKABLE shot!  I'll bet the guys are really earning their keep as I type this.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 01/16/19 16:59
Author: ExSPCondr

The flip is clockwise, and has nothing to do with grade.
It was agreed long ago that it would always be clockwise to avoid somebody wyeing a flanger and meeting somebody wyeing a spreader coming around the other way.  Besides that, and it makes more sense, if the brakeman gets off at the East switch, he can have the flanger lined out when they come around the loop.

Date: 01/16/19 18:34
Author: EsPee1229

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> BoilingMan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------

>
> Looks like a painting

Yeah, Norman Rockwell.

Keith in Roseburg

Date: 01/16/19 19:53
Author: Fredo

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> BoilingMan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Whoa! Nice pic!
> > SR
>
> Realy nice.
>
> Looks like a painting      Not for the guy with the shovel.

Date: 01/16/19 22:16
Author: atsf121

Great thread BoilingMan, and Ray, that photo is amazing. Can’t believe the amount of work it takes to keep the trains moving.

Is the balloon at Truckee also hand thrown?

I remember spotting the funny track at Fulda on my first trip on the Zephyr and wondering what it was.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/16/19 22:43

Yes they hand throw switches in Truckee....or at least they used to. not sure how the new construction affected the switches there in Truckee. And thank you..one of my personal favorite Donner shots.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/19 23:00 by RayLewis.

Date: 01/16/19 23:13
Author: 4451Puff

Truckee balloon is still a hand throw, and the west switch is still in the same spot-right in front of the Truckee web camera.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0444 seconds