Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP 4141/1943 display in Roseville

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 01/20/19 05:38
UP 4141/1943 display in Roseville
Author: bodkin6071

Has anyone else heard about the 4141/1943 display in Roseville being cut short on account of some "fine, outstanding railfans" and their antics? This was from a FB group.
Or was it just some FB rumor? You be the judge. Although I wouldn't be surprised one bit if this happened for real.

Full text:

As per RFH2: Electric Boogaloo,

Update on the U.P. 4141 and 1943 Engine Display at Roseville:

The U.P. 4141 and 1943 Engine Display at Roseville has been cancelled because of two incidents that involved railfans trespassing earlier this afternoon.

The first incident occurred at Johnston on the Martinez Subdivision just north of Elvas Junction where almost two dozen railfans set up camp at the levee crossing with chairs, bags, and tripods sitting as close as five feet away from the tracks. Railfans were fouling tracks almost nonstop for the duration of the meet except when trains and cops were spotted. Some railfans were almost struck by the MRVOA when it appeared unexpectedly and caused them to run across the tracks in front of the train so they could grab their tripods and record it.

The second incident occurred after U.P. 4141 and 1943 arrived in Roseville. A false rumor had begun circulating that both units were by the yard office on display. Five or six minivans full of railfans drove into the yard looking for them. They drove all over the yard until they found the power, jumped out of their cars, and crossed live tracks.

Both units are now being stored deep in the yard at Roseville with Union Pacific Special Agents guarding the power until they leave for Portland, Oregon sometime early this coming week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/19 05:42 by bodkin6071.

Date: 01/20/19 07:25
Re: UP 4141/1943 display in Roseville
Author: kg6nlw

There are some real Darwin Foamers in NorCal. I, unfortuneately, have had the pleasure of meeting MOST of them. I am utterly surprised they didn't go to SoCal and pull this stunt at Colton.

Regards,

-Frank C.

Frank Christ
Cloverdale, CA
FranksRails Photography, LLC.

Date: 01/20/19 08:25
Author: BAB

Many think they are entitled to do ever what they want and ruin it for every one. I do hope the trip north out of CA and all its problems is diffrent and hope to see it coming thru Klamath Falls soon.  And the deal with those in the mini van is beyond anything that should have taken place they are not rail fans or foamers just stupid entitled idiots. Hope they all stay in CA.

Date: 01/20/19 09:00
Author: highgreengraphics

...And this was a relatively minor event - Foreboding news re Big Boy 4014 operation, a major event? === === = === JLH

Date: 01/20/19 09:09
Author: rev66vette

Although I don't doubt that this occurred, this posting isn't from an official source. Just sayin'.... With the fact that security was there, have to wonder if anyone was actually cited.....

Date: 01/20/19 09:11
Author: crazybill

So...was there a display or wasn't there??
-Bill-

Date: 01/20/19 09:23
Author: trainjunkie

You didn't expect locomotives commemorating a Republican president and the military to get any respect in Kommiefornia, did you? Probably a bunch of SJWs disguised as railfans determined to disrupt the tour.

And yes, before anyone gets their shorts in a bunch, this is tongue-in-cheek.

Date: 01/20/19 09:49
Author: Copy19

This tale from Facebook is a little hard to swallow.

JB - Omaha

Date: 01/20/19 10:04
Author: dan

5 or 6 minivans    when is the last time you saw 5 of them together?

Date: 01/20/19 10:20
Author: OliveHeights

If this was true and UP canceled an employee event because of it, I wouldn’t expect to ever see the 4014 leave Cheyenne.

Date: 01/20/19 10:23
Author: trainjunkie

Copy19 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This tale from Facebook is a little hard to
> swallow.

I was skeptical too so I reached out to a UP friend who works in Roseville and he confirmed it. Units are buried and inaccessible due to a foamtard invasion. Morons.

Date: 01/20/19 11:05
Author: coach

Maybe they weren't railfans, but Bush supporters..??  I mean, come on!

Date: 01/20/19 11:29
Author: asheldrake

the duo is going around to various main UP hubs for UP employee (not public) viewing according to my PR Union Pacific contact.   As Portland is one of the planned stops I tried to get the duo for public display at ORHC.    Arlen

Date: 01/20/19 11:40
Author: e9abba

So, I was there at Roseville when the MWCRV-18 arrived.  I was monitoring the yard channel and the crew was asked where the 4141 was in their consist.  The crew replied that it was the sixth unit and "that military unit" was the seventh unit.  The yardmaster instructed the crew to spot the last two units on track 582, which is where MofW equipment is stored, near the signal shop.  This was done very shortly after the train arrived.  Now I have no way of knowing whether the instructions were changed and this spotting of the two locomotives buried inside the yard was a result of too much railfan activity.  But, as far as I could determine, no plans were changed.  

I am also very skeptical about the minivan assault.  I was at the Roseville Amtrak Station with several other fans, and I didn't see a single minivan, let alone 5 or 6.  I am a little suspicious about the FB story.

I was also nearby the Johnston area and could receive both sides of the conversations between the DS and two westbound trains that passed through prior to the MWCRV.  The dispatcher did the right thing in advising both trains about the presence of trespassers on the right-of-way between MP 92 and 93 on the Martinez Subdivision.  The first westbound had already passed the area when the radio warning was issued.  The train's crew did not seem overly concerned, but commented that there are some photographers present.   The DS then advised the train that the "Bush locomotive" was in the siding at Elk Grove and to be on the lookout.  All seemed very routine to me and very responsible on the part of UP and the crews.

I have no doubt that a few careless railfans acted in an unsafe manner.  We've all seen it.  But I believe the FB story is an exaggeration.

Paul G

Date: 01/20/19 11:51
Author: The-late-EMD

Remember most foamers suffer from ansberger syndrome so they can't control themselves. Ok that's what we use to say up on the headend.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/20/19 11:56
Author: SN711

Substitute the term SUV for minivan and think the rest of the report is spot on.

Sounds like the intent was to keep the power in a secure area, but it got invaded anyway, so the locomotives will stay there.

Sound like something like this was stArting to happen at one of the last display locations.

Gary

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/20/19 12:07
Author: x3985

I saw this message on the way to Roseville.

Thankfully, the 2 units are visible.
Image was taken from the crosswalk

It is disappointing to have other 'railfans' ruin the fun for the rest.

Date: 01/20/19 13:27
Author: dan

they are on the lookout  for taggers you would imagine

Date: 01/20/19 17:08
Author: jkchubbes

gonx Wrote:
> A simple question: Is the 1943-4141 duo that is
> touring the UP system for the enjoyment/benefit of
> the public or strictly the employees?

That is my thought. Look at West Colton, they were not out for public display during their stay.

Date: 01/20/19 17:24
Author: John

trainjunkie Wrote:
> You didn't expect locomotives commemorating a
> Republican president and the military to get any
> respect in Kommiefornia, did you? Probably a bunch
> of SJWs disguised as railfans determined to
> disrupt the tour.
>
> And yes, before anyone gets their shorts in a
> bunch, this is tongue-in-cheek.

You may have meant it to be "tongue-in-cheek" but it was/is offensive.  We Californian's can, and do, respect the person and the office even though we may differ on some of the politics.  Incidently, I had the opportunity to speak briefly with 41 and his wife several years ago while he was travelling on the Queen Mary 2.  I may not have voted for him, but meeting him was an honor.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0625 seconds