Home Open Account Help 265 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Coal Question

Date: 02/03/19 14:51
Coal Question
Author: ntharalson

I was driving west on I35 west of Kansas City early this afternoon, about 2:10 CST, and saw an eastbound coal train on the former Frisco/Katy Joint Track.  Right on its heels was
another eastbound coal train that looked like a Plat Sheerer, GA, train.  (You do not stop and shoot off I35 in KC, even on Sunday!)  So, my questions are why is a loaded train going east
on this line, and how did it get onto it in that direction?  Very puzzling.  

Oh yes, the 65 and sun in KC was a lot better that the fog and 43 when I left Cedar Rapids, and a WHOLE LOT better than the 30 below we had Wednesday.  LOL

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 02/03/19 15:30
Re: Coal Question
Author: czephyr17

Big warmup!

You say the coal trains were eastbound, but the Fort Scott sub is a north-south railroad.  Were the loaded coal trains you saw running north toward Kansas City?  If so, then I too am wondering what precipitated a move like that.  If they were headed south (away from Kansas City) then that of course would be their normal direction toward Springfield and Memphis.

Date: 02/03/19 18:23
Re: Coal Question
Author: ntharalson

czephyr17 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Big warmup!
>
> You say the coal trains were eastbound, but the
> Fort Scott sub is a north-south railroad.  Were
> the loaded coal trains you saw running north
> toward Kansas City?  If so, then I too am
> wondering what precipitated a move like that.  If
> they were headed south (away from Kansas City)
> then that of course would be their normal
> direction toward Springfield and Memphis.

Both trains were headed toward Kansas City, which is why I'm asking.  I would have thought they'd been heading away from KC.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0281 seconds