Home Open Account Help 214 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Bob Larson

Date: 02/16/19 18:56
Bob Larson
Author: JWS

I have some very sad news to report. A very good friend, and one who is known by very many railfans, had passed on Valentine's Day. Robert (Bob) Larson, one of the vendors who was always in the "back room" at Stockton's Winterail selling his great photos and slides.

Bob had been an engineer on the Western Pacific/Union Pacific out of Portola, CA, and authored a number of Western Pacific books. As a young man he began his career on the Soo Line in Wisconsin and he also authored a book on that mid-western road.

He will really be missed.

Joe Shine

Date: 02/16/19 19:01
Re: Bob Larson
Author: zephyrus

This is a huge loss to the rr history community.  Bob was an awesome storyteller and photographer.

My condolences to his family.  He will be missed.

Z

Date: 02/16/19 19:27
Author: cozephyr

Sad news-condolences to his family.  Fond memories visiting with Bob at Winterail.

Date: 02/16/19 19:31
Author: oyw

That's sad news Joe, Bob was a great guy.

Sincere condolences.

Date: 02/16/19 19:40
Author: WAF

Sorry to hear that.

Date: 02/16/19 20:19
Author: casavoye

Bob was also known as “Hoopie” a nickname he was tagged with by his stepsons Bill and Mike, who were also WP employees. The consummate railroader he was able to balance his Railfan hobby with his professional responsibilities as an engineer. Never far from his “see-gar”, he always had a shirt pocket full of them, he was as easy going as a run to Elko was long. He put me in the seat one night out of Oroville with a heavy eastbound for the run to Portola. After clearing the feather River is told me to put it in the 8th notch and wake him if I saw a yellow! “WTF Hoopie, I have never seen the railroad before”. Well Hoopie knew HIS railroad. We never got over 24 MPH up to Keddie but when I let it drift up to 27 on Williams Loop he calmly said “I’d notch it back one if I were you”. That son of a gun was watching the whole dang time and didn’t say a word! A calm and trusting soul. I loved the guy and miss him already.

Chip Savoye
Lafayette CA

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/19 07:28 by casavoye.

Date: 02/16/19 21:30
Author: dieselman

We will all miss Bob such sad news what a great friend and a professional railroader he was .Bob always had a big smile on his face and he really enjoyed his hobby.I really enjoyed his slide show at Winterail and am glad that led him to author two books on the Western Pacific seen threw his eyes at work as an engineer .My prayers are for his family and loved ones .Bob will surly be missed by all of us who were lucky enough to know him. Dieselman

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/16/19 22:38
Author: blackwidowgp9

Bob will be missed.

I remember his first Winterail show in Stockton.  Bob was narrating the show live and did an excellent job.  Got a HUGE standing ovation!  A simple story of a life well lived as a railroader and a railfan.

Sincere condolences to his family.

Chuck H

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/19 23:59 by blackwidowgp9.

Date: 02/16/19 22:39
Author: Mr-Beechcroft

Yes very sad to hear. Bob was very friendly and helpful to those of us who had questions about the WP.

Adam

Date: 02/17/19 07:50
Author: utwazoo

blackwidowgp9 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bob will be missed.
>
> I remember his first Winterail show in Stockton. 
> Bob was narrating the show live and did an
> excellent job.  Got a HUGE standing ovation!  A
> simple story of a life well lived as a railroader
> and a railfan.
>
> Sincere condolences to his family.
>
> Chuck H

That was the one where he talked about working in a tower one night and arguing with the dispatcher about a headlight he saw out the window.  DS said there was no train out there and Bob finally realized he was looking at the moon.  Brought the house down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/19 07:52 by utwazoo.

Date: 02/17/19 08:57
Author: WLE2679

Sorry to hear.    The WP books were really nice and we have some of his photos we received through a friend. 

Date: 02/17/19 09:00
Author: gandydancer4

Please let me express my sadness on the death of your friend. Late 2018 and 2019 have been hard on our railfan community. George R Cockle, George Voightmann and now Bob Larson. I hope this is the end of the losses because with each passing I feel a little history dies as well. 

Date: 02/17/19 17:23
Author: jimB

Bob's Winterail show was memorable. He was always friendly, from the first time I met him in Portola, shortly after he ran the UP E Unit special prior to the merger and through the years at Winterail . I have a number of his slides.

I've missed him the last few years and and sad that we've lost him. He seems to have had a great life doing what he enjoyed. Condolences to his family. He made a lot of friends.

Jim B

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0427 seconds