Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Western Pacific PFE 55069 update!

Date: 02/16/19 18:58
Western Pacific PFE 55069 update!
Author: zephyrus

Thank you to Alex Ramos who joined me in checking out WP PFE 55069 this morning and posted some great photos a couple post down.  Check them out: https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,4735068

Update from today...

Initial work began on clearing the area around 1924 built Western Pacific PFE reefer 55069 in San Jose.  The work consisted of dismantling about 32 ft of fencing that blocked access to the "hidden" side of the car.  When revealed, the side that has faced into the fence was found to be in excellent condition.  The locking mechanism on the side door even worked very smoothly.  See the photos below.

Fundraising continues to reach the goal needed to lift and move the car, but it must move by next weekend, so work is starting.  We are getting donated labor from the housemoving crew which has helped bring the cost down.  

Two donors have stepped forward offering a total of $600 for a dollar for dollar match to the Go Fund Me page.  So, if the Go Fund Me reaches $2,164, we will get an additional $600.  Please note that Go Fund Me does not charge a fee for non-profits like Kickstarter does, although they do allow the option of providing a "tip" to the website.  We have received several other donations outside of the Go Fund Me as well, but we are still a few thousand dollars short!  Any money raised beyond the move costs will be applied to restoration work.

https://www.gofundme.com/save-wp-pfe-reefer-55069

The plan is to move the car to a restoration location in San Jose in cooperation with California Trolley and Rail Corporation and restore the car in San Jose for everyone to see, then it will move to the WP Museum once complete.  Huge thanks to the family donating the car.  They are contributing to it and have even delayed home remodelling plans to give us time to move the car, but there is a limit to how far they can go.  We need to get it moved!

Eugene Vicknair
WPRM / FRRS

Date: 02/17/19 09:13
Re: Western Pacific PFE 55069 update!
Author: DocJones

It might be best to do what PFE did with their Program Heavy Maintenance: Jack up the car number and roll a new reefer under it.

Have fun, be safe

Bruce “Doc” Jones. Sierra Madre CA

co-author “Pacifc Fruit Express” by Church Thompson & Jones

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.035 seconds