Home Open Account Help 290 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > STE 678 Nearing Retirement

Date: 02/17/19 01:14
STE 678 Nearing Retirement
Author: CanyonTiger

Its been nearly ten years since the Stockton Terminal & Eastern recieved the 678 from PHL and before that Conrail.  Many railfans, including those here, were excited to see her arrival which sadly replaced the shortline's last ex-WP Alco.  Fast forward a decade and history is repeating itself.  Sadly, I found out recently she's slated to be replaced by a KLW genset, similar to the one recently purchased by the San Francisco Belt.  Much like their old Alco, this old girl is to be cut up and turn into razorblades...thank you CARB.

I was invited by a friend on Friday to follow the old girl around Stockton for what I fear may be the last time.  Over the coming weeks I'll be paying attention to this old girl as she plys the area around Stockton and Linden as she nears the inevitable. 

~Tiger

Date: 02/17/19 18:02
Re: STE 678 Nearing Retirement
Author: californiarails

Nice shot. Sad to see it go, as with many SWs on many shortlines. Is the MP15DC, STE 777, is still in use?

Date: 02/17/19 19:05
Author: needles_sub

Yes, thank you CARB. Young children can breath easier and not develop breathing problems. Razor blades are better than adults or children with respiratory problems. Every little bit helps.

Date: 02/18/19 10:40
Author: BayByDayBasinByBirth

Except San Francisco Belt’s Alco S-2 #25 will NOT be cut up nor will it be turned into razor blades. It will instead be put on static display at Pier 96 to the public with historic signage to teach the masses of it’s 75+ years of SF Waterfront service for decades to come.

Where do some of you hear these rumors and repost without actual useful/truthful sources? 

#FakeNews

Date: 02/18/19 20:07
Author: PHall

The CARB can only order you to scrap a unit if and only if you finance your new unit using the Moyer program.

Date: 02/19/19 21:23
Author: CanyonTiger

californiarails Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice shot. Sad to see it go, as with many SWs on
> many shortlines. Is the MP15DC, STE 777, is still
> in use?

Yes, the 777 is still used. She was tucked away in bed the day I visited the railroad.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/27/19 08:49
Author: phlone

If you accept Moyer funds, only the prime mover must be scrapped or rendered permanently inoperable. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0426 seconds