Home Open Account Help 280 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Spreader in Alta! Strangely Unsatisfying...

Date: 02/17/19 14:08
Spreader in Alta! Strangely Unsatisfying...
Author: BoilingMan

Needed.  Welcome.  But still...
He's (finally) cleaning up the #1 Track, but meanwhile, #6 is pushing snow up the #2- clearing the way for an EB! (photo on the Passenger Page)
SR

Date: 02/17/19 14:15
Re: Spreader in Alta! Strangely Unsatisfying...
Author: WAF

Forgot about those buggers. They can do it, at least knock down the core

Date: 02/17/19 15:58
Author: robj

While back I saw something like this on the Wisconsin Central and they could work on the frozen crossings.  The whole unit would lift up and a mechanism would crear out the ice buildup in the crossing grooves which is a big problem on lines with less rail traffic.

Bob

Date: 02/17/19 16:24
Author: hogheaded

Gee, that's all the railroad gods sent you today? Semi-bummer! Full-bummer (with oak leaf cluster) would have occured had you traveled to Yakutsk to get this shot, instead of figuratively leaning out your living room window.

You should have headed to the other side of the hill, where the rotary was working. I flew into Reno and shot a nice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfKrOoOQVBQ, myself. Can't figure out why nobody else was aware of this.

EO

Date: 02/17/19 18:11

It’s because you live in that parallel universe, and you’re probably better off too!
SR

Say Hi to the unicorns for me!

Date: 02/18/19 07:58
Author: the_expediter

There's an old Polish proverb that says "A Truly Wise man never plays leapfog with the Unicorn !" - Banacek

Date: 02/18/19 08:11

Follow up:  This thing is sort of a spreader/ flanger combo- it both shoves snow to the side and scoops it out from inside the gauge.  But it did not remove the berm that has formed between the #1 and #2 Tracks.   I'm curious to see if they'll just let that stay.
SR

Date: 02/18/19 08:23
Author: WAF

Its a modified ballast regulator with a snow plow on the front and side wings. Grreat for small snow events.. Denver and Rio Grande introduced these to the SP during their merger. Surprised the UP has kept the idea

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0404 seconds