Home Open Account Help 188 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > An incident today near Mossbrae Falls

Date: 02/18/19 15:19
An incident today near Mossbrae Falls
Author: photobob

All the more reason for a trail to Mossbrae Falls. UP7898 north hit a man near Mossbrae Falls this morning. There are no trespassing signs located at Shasta Retreat but people just ignore them. I wouldn't think anyone in their right mind would attempt that walk in the snow as there is really nowhere to go when a train comes. It sounds like the train hit him in the head as it passed him. A rescue helicopter was sent to Cantara Loop but I'm not sure of what really happened. Ryan Wilkerson and family are up here in Dunsmuir and the day was just going to be chasing 7898 but that all changed.They brought the train up to Mott Road to change the crew that is were the first photo was taken. Meanwhile the CHP rescue helicopter passed overhead and then the southbound Z-Train which was being held on the Mott Siding went south for its crew change in Dunsmuir.

Robert Morris
Dunsmuir, CA
Robert Morris Photography

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/19 19:05 by photobob.

Date: 02/18/19 16:55
Re: An incedent today near Mossbrae Falls
Author: px320

That's a bummer. In June of 2015 there was a special train to promote a trail to Mossbrae Falls. Had all kinds of dignitaries on board to promote the need for safety when getting to the falls.

I guess that didn't happen.

Date: 02/18/19 17:00
Author: coach

The strange relgious cult that runs the old SHASTA RETREAT, which is above the falls, won't let anyone in, or allow access to the falls.  There used to be an incline tramway to carry passengers that would disembark from SP trains down below, near the falls.  A station and platform existed.  So, there is room for a good stariway, and room for a viewing platform, but the religious cult there (Lumerians??) aren't too keen about it.  Doesn't seem right to me.

Date: 02/18/19 18:13
Author: spnudge

I tried to reply, but it was blocked. My membership isn't up until 12:01 AM today. 

Its been a good ride here but can't handle the politics. Keep em all black & on the track. A person needs murth to keep things in sight and in line and without that, it can be plenty boring.  I will still have the memories, that is the best part. And of course all the rails I worked with over 40 some odd years.

Look for you down the road.

SBN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/19 18:17 by spnudge.

Date: 02/18/19 20:25
Author: ShoreLineRoute

SPNudge,

I’ve greatly enjoyed your posts over the years.  Sorry to see you go but best wishes to you.
Oliver Barrett

Date: 02/18/19 20:26
Author: dan

oh common back would ya!

Date: 02/18/19 20:47
Author: MEKoch

The Lumenerians? At first I thought it was the Lutherans! The Lutherans are a Northern European group I am part of. But we do like trains for everyone.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/18/19 20:53
Author: Graybeard1942

SPNudge,  you have my greatest respect.

Date: 02/19/19 00:34
Author: Odyssey

Thank you spnudge,

Even if you can't access this site, I do appreciate the
many informative comments you have posted on TrainOders ...

And thank you photobob for the original post about the tragic
accident ... a sad state of affairs if the religious group has controlled
access to the falls ... (I do not know the legal status of "who" controls
access ... just sorry a life was lost ...)

Odyssey
Evergreen, CO

Date: 02/19/19 09:09
Re: An incident today near Mossbrae Falls
Author: mp345

> The strange relgious cult that runs the old SHASTA RETREAT...

No more strange than Catholics, etc.

> the religious cult there (Lumerians??) aren't too keen about it.  Doesn't seem right to me.

It's their property - seems right to me.

Date: 02/19/19 13:32
Author: TCnR

We're confusing oranges and water pumps,

Lemurians live in the mountain:  http://www.lemurianconnection.com/category/about-mt-shasta/

I-am-er's:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%22I_AM%22_Activity

and the St. Germain Foundation:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Germain_Foundation

who travel 'on' the mountain.

The trail would require an easement and has Liability issues, aka Lawyers. It would benefit the Town and the RR such that they wouldn't have to respond to people getting hit by a train. On the downside it would provide access to another hard to get to area that may be exploited by the local homeless and neer-do-wells.

Interesting to note that area is private land on both sides of the river.

Date: 02/19/19 18:07
Author: Graybeard1942

Here is what the media had to say...SISKIYOU COUNTY, Calif. - A man survived after being hit by a train at Mossbrae Falls on Monday.The Siskiyou County Sheriff's Office received a call about the incident around 11:04 a.m. on Monday at the Mossbrae Falls area, just northwest of Dunsmuir.  Deputies found Kyle Hutchinson, 33, of Dunsmuir, located approximately 1.5 miles from the Shasta Retreat, near the railroad tracks. Hutchinson sustained injuries after he was hit by the Union Pacific Train, but was alive and responsive when deputies found him. During the investigation, deputies learned that Hutchinson was new to the area and was not aware that the railroad tracks were in use. He was also wearing headphones, listening to music and taking photographs in the area. At some point, he saw or heard the train coming and stepped off of the tracks, but the front-right portion of the train still hit him. Deputies found that the train hit Hutchinson going 10 miles per hour in the northerly direction. According to the train crew, they sounded a horn several times before the collision to let him know the train was coming. "We are grateful Mr. Hutchinson survived this potentially fatal encounter with a moving train," said Sheriff Jon Lopey. "I would like to thank the involved deputies, medical and fire first responders, railroad personnel, and the expert and decisive actions of the CHP’s H-16 crew, which were instrumental in this safe, swift, and effective rescue effort." 

https://www.actionnewsnow.com/content/news/Man-survives-after-being-hit-by-train-at-Mossbrae-Falls--506071221.html

Date: 02/19/19 18:11
Author: TCnR

In Military Comm descriptions the headset appears to have had a short somewhere.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0749 seconds