Home Open Account Help 256 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Playing With New Glass

Date: 03/06/19 22:39
Playing With New Glass
Author: z-trains

I recently bought a Sigma 150-600 f/5-6.3 Contemporary lens for my 7D Mark II. One of the shots that I've been wanting to get for a while with a lens with this length was a shot at CP Harley on the Metrolink Perris Valley Line, with the long straight section of track between Cactus and Harley visible from the Harley Knox blvd exit ramp. The weather was on my side for once and I managed to get both the southbound SANJAC and Metrolink 702 before the sun set. Looking forward to using this thing more often!!

-Zach

Date: 03/06/19 22:58
Re: Playing With New Glass
Author: tgcostello

Nice work Zach.
TC

Date: 03/07/19 05:06
Author: ATSF5669

Very nice pics Zach.  I've loved both my Sports and Contemporary versions of that lens.  If you read photography blogs that lens is, in the eyes of the Canon white lens devotees, somewhat looked down upon.  Having owned one of those white monsters, the 500 f4L, and having dragged it all over the US, give me the Sigma 150-600 ANY day.  For my purposes I've found it every bit as sharp as the Canon, with the big advantage that its so much more portable, meaning I don't need a separate case for it when I fly.

Date: 03/07/19 13:45
Author: bmarti7

Nice! Lve the staeburst on the Metrolink.

BB

Date: 03/07/19 14:25
Author: z-trains

ATSF5669 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very nice pics Zach.  I've loved both my Sports
> and Contemporary versions of that lens.  If you
> read photography blogs that lens is, in the eyes
> of the Canon white lens devotees, somewhat looked
> down upon.  Having owned one of those white
> monsters, the 500 f4L, and having dragged it all
> over the US, give me the Sigma 150-600 ANY day. 
> For my purposes I've found it every bit as sharp
> as the Canon, with the big advantage that its so
> much more portable, meaning I don't need a
> separate case for it when I fly.

Funnily enough I actually wound up purchasing this lens because of my father buying a massive fd 600mm f/4.5 lens but honestly like, I already have a 70-200 f/4L and I'm not enamored with the sharpness of it, and I needed longer reach. I also got tired of hearing "man you really need a 600 for this shot!", so I one-upped him. APSC equivalency on the Sigma is about 940mm so I think I have a slight advantage xD

-Zach

Date: 03/07/19 14:48
Author: TheNavigator

Nice perspective; plenty of reach with that lens!  And congratulations on the Trona article; great camera work there too.
GK 

Date: 03/07/19 20:24
Author: mojaveflyer

I have a Sigma 150 - 600 mm lens too. I really like it for both  railroad and aviation photography. All of  my other lenses are Canon...

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0444 seconds