Home Open Account Help 301 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Colorado closed by Blizzard

Date: 03/13/19 13:56
Colorado closed by Blizzard
Author: cozephyr

Colorado transportation coming to near standstill account blizzard conditions 13 March 2019.  Forwarding info-All six Denver International Airport runways were closed about 1:45 PM, 13 March 2019.  This comes after what's been dubbed a "bomb cyclone" bared down on Colorado, bringing with it wind gusts up to 80 mph near the airport, blowing snow, and a full closure of Pena Boulevard.

Most highways closed around Denver-I-70, I-25 North of Wellington, CO, into Wyoming-high winds & snow ⛄️ continues Wednesday afternoon.

Image-Denver RTD Denver Union Station, Denver, CO, to Denver International Airport (DIA) shut down part of 13 March 2019 account frozen switch issue.  View at I-225 which was an ice skating rink (covered with ice).  Denver RTD info-RTD service is being increasingly impacted as the weather situation deteriorates and this will continue into the evening and the morning commute. System-wide bus and rail delays are currently 30-90 minutes due to blizzard conditions.  A line trains are operating on 30 min frequency and travel time is increased 20-30 minutes. SkyRide bus service is terminating at 40th & Airport, use A line as alternate to/from DIA.  FlexRide services have been discontinued. (13 March 2019 at 7 PM)

5:00 AM, 14 March 2019 update-Amtrak train 6 departed Denver after 9-hours 14-minutes layover at Denver Union Station.  The eastbound California Zephyr continued into the departing blizzard conditions east of Denver on BNSF rails.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/19 04:16 by cozephyr.

Date: 03/13/19 14:04
Re: Colorado closed by Blizzard
Author: JHF

FYI:
Trains on the Joint Line thru Palmer Lake are running. Have seen only one with pushers, all others are using the normal 2x2 configuration. So far everything has been coal. Even had a southbound on main 2. Can see only dark shapes when one passes on main one. Appears that the snow is moderating at 1503.
JHF

Date: 03/13/19 14:26
Author: bmarti7

DIA peak gust 75 mph. This is what a bom cyclone looks like

https://radar.weather.gov/ridge/Conus/full_loop.php

BB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/19 14:27 by bmarti7.

Date: 03/13/19 14:55
Author: WAF

Wouldn't have been a fun climb out of DIA if it was open

Date: 03/13/19 15:32
Author: donner_dude1

My friends flight into Denver (today) was cancelled on Tuesday so this storm was anticipated and played out as expected.

Check out the Weather Note for Omaha:

******Flood Watch
National Weather Service Omaha/Valley NE
1115 AM CDT Wed Mar 13 2019

...MODERATE TO MAJOR, AND POSSIBLY HISTORIC FLOODING EXPECTED TO
DEVELOP...

.Heavy rain, combined with warmer temperatures and melting snow,
frozen ground, and thick ice cover in the rivers will lead to
widespread flooding on many rivers and streams. Minor flooding of
some roads have already occurred, as well as urban flooding in
areas where drains were blocked with snow and ice. Many rivers
will experience moderate to major flooding, and in some cases,
record flooding is forecast. Ice jams could also develop with
little notice which would enhance the flood threat. Road closures
are possible in flooded areas.

Date: 03/13/19 15:38
Author: dan

A state trooper was killed near Roggen, assisting  a slide off

LED stop lights are unrecoginizable for south facing traffic.

Snow is done here at my house as the low pulls away.

Date: 03/13/19 17:51
Author: Bob3985

dan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A state trooper was killed near Roggen,
> assisting  a slide off
>
> LED stop lights are unrecoginizable for south
> facing traffic.
>
> Snow is done here at my house as the low pulls
> away.

Snow is hanging in up here.
Yesterday a friend called me from LaGrange WY and said the track inspector said that they called for a wedge plow on the Yoder sub for protection.
Due to weather I haven't been down by the railroad to see if ine of them has moved out. So far I have 3 foot drifts along the south side of my place with the snow forecasted to last thru tomorrow morning.  

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 03/13/19 18:01

THERE ARE A FEW BANDS OF WRAP AROUND MOISTURE STILL LIKELY

Date: 03/13/19 18:02
Author: grandroad

Chip, you are the man to get out in this weather and get a photo.

Paul Brennecke
Golden, CO

Date: 03/13/19 18:39
Author: TCnR

Looking at the roadcams for the general area, I know Cheyenne gets a big snow dump around March but this one looks like somebody elses fault this time.

Date: 03/13/19 19:38
Author: grande_fan

News was saying there was a 97 mph gust at colorado springs airport

bmarti7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> DIA peak gust 75 mph. This is what a bom cyclone
> looks like
>
> https://radar.weather.gov/ridge/Conus/full_loop.ph
> p
>
> BB

Posted from Android

Date: 03/13/19 20:56
Author: IC_2024

Some of my worst experiences in flying have been landing/taking off from Denver —- sadly, one of the reasons I never would live there.
Y’all can have your “Rocky Mountain High” — ( I.e. copious amounts of weed probably help— Lol!!)
What really amazes me is the fact that folks retire here... NOT warm, and again, refer to the aforementioned weather/turbulence extremes...
Each to their own, I guess!

Date: 03/13/19 21:46

well passengers have heard the wind pushed over a grain elevator, think the CZ is back at the station waiting for a clear track.  a passenger said maybe 2am they may move,  amtrak just has said this:

UPDATE: California Zephyr Train 6 which departed Emeryville (EMY) on 3/12 is still currently stopped in Denver due to high wind warnings in the area. Train will be back on the move once weather has been cleared safe to resume travel

another source said....On the BNSF, 50-60 MPH slows us, 61 or over we stop and stage. UP goes by tonnage, I believe. Freight speeds may be different on the BN...so this train may have hard time if it catched up to the bomb!
  saw the z train roll past the akron camwb around 10 perhaps they wanted it to be in denver, before anything goes east..

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/19 00:40 by dan.

Date: 03/14/19 04:21
Author: cozephyr

76 road closures early 14 March 2019 per Colorado Dept of Transportation (CDOT).  Numerous cars stranded overnight in Douglas County.  Colorado National Guard activated by Colorado Governor Polis on 13 March.  Transportation difficult across eastern Colorado Thursday, 13 March.

Major highway closures early 14 March 2019:

• I-70 from AirPark to Kansas
• I-70 eastbound at Vail (closed indefinitely now due to crash)
• I-70 eastbound in Aurora at Tower Road (no ETA for reopening)
• I-70 from U.S. 6 to Golden (due to a crash)
• U.S. 36 from AirPark to Kansas
• I-25 from Wellington to Wyoming
• I-25 throughout Douglas County to Colorado Springs
• I-76 from Commerce City to Nebraska
• I-76 eastbound at Eagle Blvd. in Brighton (due to jackknifed semi)
• Peña Boulevard is shut down from I-70 to the airport
• Highway 24 from Calhan to Limon
• Arapahoe Road at Colorado Boulevard (due to a downed power line)
• La Veta Pass
• Wolf Creek Pass (due to avalanche work)
• Coal Bank/Molas Pass (due to avalanche work)
• CO Highway 17 at Cumbres Pass
• Lizard Head Pass (indefinite due to avalanche danger, driving conditions)
• U.S. Highway 40 from Kremmling to Kansas
• CO Highway 65 at Island Lake Road (due to avalanche) (Info courtesy 9News-Denver)

667 flights canceled at Denver International Airport early 14 March.  Airlines dealing with planes needed to be deiced and only 4 runways of 6 back in service.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/19 04:43 by cozephyr.

Date: 03/14/19 11:50
Author: symph1

Wyoming, too. All roads around Laramie and Cheyenne still closed, since yesterday. The school where I teach (UW) closed most of yesterday, all day today. Snowfall has stopped, but high winds continue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/19 11:50 by symph1.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0687 seconds