Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > CP tank trains hits semi at Oconomowoc WI

Date: 03/22/19 12:28
CP tank trains hits semi at Oconomowoc WI
Author: KDroute

This morning a CP tank train hit a semi at the crossing just west of the Milw Rd station, now a restaurant. head end power was 2 UP units. no derilment, but the crossing signals were taken out and some windows in the restrauant were damaged with people seated next to them. No injuries reported. this is single track, so delays to #8 may occure 

Mike Patrick
Burlington WI

Date: 03/22/19 16:05
Re: CP tank trains hits semi at Oconomowoc WI
Author: pummer

https://www.channel3000.com/news/train-collides-with-semi-in-oconomowoc/1061645718

Amtrak #8 was already running about an hour late coming into Wisconsin and didn't appear to be further delayed by this incident.

Date: 03/22/19 18:04
Author: Lackawanna484

No injuries reported, good!

Posted from Android

Date: 03/22/19 18:59
Author: pbouzide

My hometown. My mother lives in a retirement home around 100 yards from that grade crossing, and my brother - who lives nearby and unloads pneumatic flour loads at the only remaining rail shipper - informed me of the incident.

Speed limits through Oconomowoc were raised a decade or so? ago when the “go around the crossing gates prevention” dividers were installed. It’s also a ‘quiet zone” but I doubt that the lack of the horn played much of a role in this incident, as there’s a four way stop sign controlled intersection just south of the crossing where most traffic makes a turn just before or just after crossing the tracks. Probably not the easiest maneuver for a long semi, particularly if it’s new to the driver. It’s not supposed to be a major truck route (anymore) since the bypass was built.

Speaking of “only remaining shipper”, what changes there since I was a kid and I’d watch the MILW shunt around the dozen to two dozen freight cars that would arrive and depart daily for local industries like Carnation or Oconomowoc Canning or a number of lumber dealers, a team track and “freight depot”. In addition to the still extant and flour-receiving Brownberry Ovens bakery aforementioned. Often with a Geep, but more fun were the FMs and still more fun were the multiple F unit (or with sometimes “dog’s breakfast” lashups) “maids of all work” that would deliver and pick up the daily cuts in each direction while leaving the rest of their train on the (double track current of traffic) main east or west of town.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0464 seconds