Home Open Account Help 238 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Big Changes on UP Sunset Route

Date: 03/24/19 20:12
Big Changes on UP Sunset Route
Author: mococomike

Up is currently replacing signals between Shawmut and Gila Bend. UP is also starting work to extend Bosque, Aztec and Pedra to 16000 feet to handle new monster stack trains. With these improvements no need to double track this stretch for a long long time. Here are few shots of the old and new. 1 thru 3 West switch Shawmut.

Date: 03/24/19 20:15
Re: Big Changes on UP Sunset Route

1 New approuch for Shawmut  going east and Bosque going west
2 1 above moved further west replacing old searchlight on a curve.
3 Will miss the old pole line.

Date: 03/24/19 20:18

Gila Bend still keeping it classy

Date: 03/24/19 20:26
Author: ble692

There are two signal changes on the Gila Sub in effect tomorrow morning, 3/25/19, in preparation for the upcoming siding extensions.

The eastbound mainline signal at the west end of Aztec siding (CP SP811) is being moved from the north side of the tracks to the south side of the tracks. Presume they are extending the siding westward here.

The westbound mainline signal at the east end of Bosque siding (CP SP864) is being moved from the north side of the tracks to the south side of the tracks. Presume they are extending the siding eastward here.

Date: 03/24/19 20:36
Author: ble692

Looks like a single intermediate will cover the shortened distance between the eastward extended Bosque and Shawmut. Aztec looks like it is getting extended to the west. Which way are they extending Piedra?

Date: 03/24/19 20:56
Author: Railbaron

Maybe I'm dumb but why place the new double-head signal at Shawmut there, on the left? I assume eventually they'll add the second mainline through there, unless UP has given up on that plan, and I would assume that signal would be right where the new mainline (if it ever gets installed) would go. Well, what do I know - UP works in mysterious ways. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/19 20:58 by Railbaron.

Date: 03/24/19 20:58

I didnt drive by Piedra but I would assume extending it west as there a canal to the east and a new bridge would have to be constructed.

Date: 03/24/19 21:07

Railbaron with the new sidings I dont think there will be much of a need for double track in the near future. where I'm standing is a bridge abuttment direclty behind me where the Ocapos siding once crossed a wash. The wash bridge was once double track but removed when Ocapos and Shawmut sidings were torn out and the new Shawmut sidng built using the former mainline between the two previous sidings in 1960.

Date: 03/24/19 21:11

So I take it UP's plan of adding second mainline across the Sunset is on hold, which considering UP's massive cost cutting would make sense. It is a shame to see the searchlights fall though.

Date: 03/25/19 10:03
Author: PHall

Railbaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So I take it UP's plan of adding second mainline
> across the Sunset is on hold, which considering
> UP's massive cost cutting would make sense. It is
> a shame to see the searchlights fall though.

Incandescent light bulbs and moving parts is what's killing the searchlights.

Date: 03/25/19 10:12
Author: Railfan4Christ

Thanks for the update. Glad I caught them when I did. 

Tom

Date: 03/25/19 10:29

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Incandescent light bulbs and moving parts is what's killing the searchlights.

I completely realize that but I was just saying that it is a shame to see them fall; they just are classier. 

Date: 03/25/19 10:50
Author: CPR_4000

In the third shot, is the searchlight on the short mast considered a dwarf? I'm guessing it's on the siding.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0678 seconds