Home Open Account Help 278 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Road Trip - Day 4

Date: 04/18/19 08:08
Road Trip - Day 4
Author: bmarti7

Thanks After nice days of sunshine the thick clouds moved in followed by the snow. Today, we started on the west side (Minnesota) of the Mississippi. I was shown the platform at rail-fan-friendly platform Dakota. Some kind folks have even kept the "volunteer" brush and trees cut down to maintain the view.  In spite of the dismal sky, it was another great day of train watching. First up was the BNSF 785 Warbonnet running east on the CP River Sub to River Junction at La Crescent where it would set-out a cut of cars before heading south on CP's Marquette Sub. (photo on yesterday's "Warbonnet Wednesday" post)
https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,4774365

Thanks for looking.

BB

1. Amtrak No. 8, The Empire Builder" goes through the s-curves west of Dakota. Note that it still only has one Seattle Coach (between diner and sightseer lounge)
2. A friendly toot-toot from the engineer as he passes the platform at Dakota
3. Next was the HOT CP 198 train (that's how they say it up there) led by CP 8764

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/19 05:22 by bmarti7.

Date: 04/18/19 08:18
Re: Road Trip - Day 4

4. With a 10 mph speed limit over the Mississippi Bridges, we had time to jump ahead to the La Crosse Depot and shoot the HOT 198 again
5. BNSF 8573 West as the snow begins to fall (many of the photos during my stay were taken at the dead end of State Street in La Crosse - a great location with the golf course background and one block from crossing signals to warn you of trains approaching from either direction - Thanks Pat for showing me this spot
6. BNSF 3910 East with the S-SEALPC
one more....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/19 05:21 by bmarti7.

Date: 04/18/19 08:22

7. BNSF 6905 East leading, and a CSX unit 2nd, the H-NTWBRC. Photo taken at Lytles, WI. This is a dead-end access north of La Crosse with good, paved roads all the way to the end.

Date: 04/18/19 08:50
Author: Ritzville

Nice shots Bill in the Winter Spring weather. Looks like some serious snowfall!

Larry

Date: 04/18/19 12:54
Author: twjurgens

Nice shots!  Looks like bad weather might be following you.

Date: 04/18/19 14:55

twjurgens Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice shots!  Looks like bad weather might be
> following you.

Thanks Tom - I resemble that. When I arrived on Tuesday there was green everywhere, trees budding. A look at tomorrow's post will show what happened starting Wednesday.

BB

Date: 04/18/19 21:02
Author: SCKP187

Nice catches despite the variable weather conditions.
Brian Stevens

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0547 seconds