Home Open Account Help 305 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Road Trip - Day 5

Date: 04/19/19 09:14
Road Trip - Day 5
Author: bmarti7

After a night of multiple thunder snow and thunder sleet storms, I was planning on a day going south from La Crosse on Highway 35 all the way to Prairie du Chien, Quakerengr was scheduled for grandpa duty that day so he kindly wrote a guide for me with all the good shooting locations along the BNSF Aurora Sub (thanks Pat - good stuff). Indications were that my day might not go as planned starting in the motel parking lot. I hadn't brought my snow boots on the trip and the lot hadn't been plowed yet. I almost slipped just getting to the SUV (thankfully with North Dakota standard equipment - remote starting). At least I didn't have to scrap snow and ice. Then it took me 20 minutes to go 5 miles on I-90. [Later I learned that county road crews are responsible for plowing the state and federal highways as well in Wisconsin.]

On the scanner I heard that only the yard crew van was operating. Dog catch crews were being shuttled by trains. I continued my quest south and noticed LOTS of tree limbs down in the La Crosse area. On Hwy 35 some areas had been plowed and some not. One sure thing: the side roads, pull-offs and shoulders were all un-plowed thus limiting stopping opportunities. There was a westbound parked at the Goose Island turn-off which was barricaded because of river flooding. A second westbound was also there (railroad Stoddard). Both were waiting for dog catch crews but there was no place to stop and photograph.

As I continued south I found myself, 4-wheel drive and all, sliding in places where there were strong cross winds. At Ferryville, I decided to shut it down. In town I was able to park next to one of those convenient rail fan platforms. I had heard one eastbound leaving La Crosse and it showed on ATCS. I waited and got the shot. But now nothing else was moving. Two more east bounds were still at La Crosse, waiting for dog catch crews to deliver to the dead trains at Stoddard. So I started back northward. I saw the first eastbound headlight near Genoa but still no place to safely pull off. The second was just pulling up to a stop to discharge the dog catch crew at Stoddard (same situation). It was lunch time so I headed back to La Crosse and stopped at a Mexican restaurant that sits along the tracks. While eating the westbound came by. It's a good spot to see trains - food was another matter although the gringos there seemed to be enjoying it. Confession: after spending 40+ years living in the Denver area, and many, many trips to New Mexico and Texas, it's hard to find GOOD Mexican up north.

After lunch I headed to my now-favorite golf course shooting location. I was scheduled to be at quakerengr's house for dinner at 5;30 (Mrs.Quakerengr, Kathy, sure knows her way around the kitchen). In fact I envy Pat's metabolism because the way you get fed around there could put weight on most people. Crossing over the CP main, the HOT 198 train, many hours late, was passing under me. So a quick detour to Bangor was in order before dinner.

I hope you enjoy - thanks for looking.

BB

1. BNSF 5998 east leads the Z-STPCHC at Ferryville,WI
2. BNSF 5374 east with the H-NTWTUL
3. BNSF 8347 east with the H-PASBRC

Date: 04/19/19 09:25
Re: Road Trip - Day 5

4. BNSF 7310 west leading the X-EAPLAN
5. BNSF 8573 east with the V-NTWKCM
6. BNSF 5504 west with the H-BRCNTW

Date: 04/19/19 09:32

7. Very late CP 8546 east, the HOT 198 train, crosses 14th Ave in Bangor. Note the snow piles (all from the week's storm)
8. There was more the one ONE on this one
9. After dinner, enjoying railroad slide shows, we catch No. 7 rolling by. Like Ritzville, Quakerengr enjoys track side viewing

And with this scene we bid a fond farewell and time with the folks in the La Crosse area. Thanks to all for your outstanding hospitality!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/19 10:04 by bmarti7.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 04/19/19 09:54
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE shots in trying weather along with interesting narritive. Sure like the view of #7 rolling by Quakerengr's front yard, nice spot!

Larry

Date: 04/20/19 07:31
Author: Quakerengr

Compliment passed along!!  Since Bill allowed that 7 inch heavy wet snow to follow him from Bismarck,  had to deviate from grandpa assignment,  fire up the Farmall C with plow,  to spend 1.5 hrs plowing our driveway  and another 1.5 hrs to do our neighbors, plus a log chain to pull their car out of the snow.  Hopefully the end till next December!!

Images 2, 3 and 4 are looking  north  and the engines are at the exact site of CB&Q's  La Crosse, Wi Main street depot.  I understand that BN bulldozed the depot within months after Amtrak moved the Empire Builder to the Milwaukee Road route.  Maybe BSB knows when they demolished the depot.  Great images there Bill11.

Quakerengr

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0649 seconds