Home Open Account Help 363 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Road Trip - Day 6 Homeward Bound

Date: 04/19/19 17:08
Road Trip - Day 6 Homeward Bound
Author: bmarti7

I started the morning from West Salem. Although there were still scattered snow showers around, the roads were only wet or dry. I returned towards the Twin Cities on the Minnesota side, following the CP. ATCS didn't show much and No. 8 was 4.5 hours late. I didn't dwell in the Cities as radar showed multiple snow showers west and there were highways still closed in Western Minnesota and Eastern ND. I did run into heavy snow around Little Falls and shut it down there.

Starting around 6:30 am the next morning, No. 8, followed by the two west coast Z's, came through Little Falls. As it was still cloudy and somewhat dark, I elected to stay in. Although the roads were open, and the sun was shining, I passed some 6-8 ft drifts west of Detroit Lakes. What a great week it was - thanks for joining me on this journey.

BB

1. CP westward in the hole at Donehower with CSX 400 in the lead. You can see the young conductor based at Portage, who was on the ground for the role by. I visited with him: "It's good pay, not good for social life"
2. CP 8651 east leads loaded oil cans through West Donehower - note the snow pack on the pilot
3. CP 9804, leading the HOT 198, pulls out of Goodview after a fuel stop - been through the snow as well

one more.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/19 17:13 by bmarti7.

Date: 04/19/19 17:12
Re: Road Trip - Day 6 Homeward Bound
Author: bmarti7

4. BNSF 9729 and UP 3940 lead a CP westbound parked at Weaver. The crew was dead waiting for a van. The DPU was the BNSF 785 Warbonnet covered Wednesday.

Date: 04/19/19 20:28
Author: Quakerengr

Nice end to a Sunny/snowy/cloudy trip!!!!!!   Great visit  and thanks  for sharing  your images  along the way..

Pat

Date: 04/19/19 22:12
Author: Ritzville

Nice end to your interesting series in Winter in Spring.

Larry

Date: 04/20/19 10:56
Author: bbethmann

Great series and overall road trip. Can’t wait to retire and boondoggle myself. I spend considerable time with my partner firm in Minneapolis and get to hang in Red Wing at the St. James quite often.

Thanks for great reflections on a wonderful area to railfan.

BB in Spokane

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0435 seconds