Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Silverzone Pass Time-lapse

Date: 05/08/19 18:24
Silverzone Pass Time-lapse
Author: howeld

Having finished the chase with 4014 my friend and I decided to head west to Silverzone Pass near the Utah Nevada boarder.  As we fueled in Lake point a unit oil train passed us. We shot it in a few places before heading across the salt flats.   We were kicking ourselves later for wasting time with the unit train for as we arrived at the pass a WB stack was just cresting the top.   We ended up waiting over 5 hours for the train to arrive.  Upon leaving another WB coal was rolling up the grade but we did not stay as the light would be questionable and had to drive back to Ogden.  
Three trains in daylight isn’t too bad.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/19 20:37 by howeld.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 05/08/19 18:48
Re: Silverzone Pass Time-lapse
Author: CBRL

Great video! Gotta get out there sometime.

Posted from Android

Tom Trent
Eugene, OR

Date: 05/08/19 19:55
Author: mojaveflyer

Nice work, thanks for sharing!

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 05/08/19 21:11
Author: P

That's pretty cool.

Date: 05/08/19 21:27
Author: coach

At the very beginning of the video, what direction are you looking at?  Does that valley have a name?  

Date: 05/08/19 22:38
Author: JDLX

Video starts out looking east, down into Pilot Valley.  Outstanding work at a place I know very well!  Thanks for posting it!

Edited to add, I was working late this afternoon between Highway 93 and Tobar, that stack train passed me....would have been maybe around 3 pm. 

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/19 22:40 by JDLX.

Date: 05/08/19 23:17
Author: JimBaker

Now that's High Speed Rail !!

James R.(Jim) Baker
Whittier, CA

Date: 05/09/19 04:04

JDLX has the location down. If I had let it run longer the train would have reappeared much higher on the hill in the last few frames and I could have tracked it farther but due to the speed of the train ~10mph and the way the iPhone cuts frames it was best to stop it where I did. We drove up to the upper crossing and still had to wait another 10 mins for the train to appear.

The guys in the video were three locals out having a good time with a cooler of beverages and a ATV.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/09/19 05:54
Author: atsf121

Neat time lapse. Where is the oil train coming from and headed to? Didn’t realize UP ran one over Silverzone.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/09/19 05:58

It may have been ethonal I didn’t pay attention to the placards.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/09/19 08:31
Author: donner_dude1

UP does run ethanol trains over Silver Zone. I can't think of any Oil trains that would run that way. Utah crude typically stays in Utah.

I couldn't read the placards but one of the cars was CBTX 737613.

Date: 05/11/19 11:53
Author: fresno

UP usually runs the ethanol trains west from Ogden via the ex-SP routing, but that plan may have changed with the PSR plan coming into play. There were oil trains running once-a-month between Carr, CO and Bakersfield, but I haven't heard of those trains being run since last fall, so no doubt an ethanol train on the video here.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0445 seconds