Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > All quiet at Martin, Utah

Date: 05/15/19 07:22
All quiet at Martin, Utah
Author: cozephyr

Martin, Utah, is deadly quiet.  Intermountain Power coal traffic contract was won by Union Pacific back in late 2016.  Locomotive shop was closed January or February 2017 according to Dick 2ebright.  The administration/dispatcher office has been vacant for over a decade (maybe two decades).  Utah Railway thrives in the Provo, Utah, area.  All quiet at Martin-!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/19 07:33 by cozephyr.

Date: 05/15/19 07:28
Re: All quiet at Martin, Utah
Author: atsf121

Excellent photo, I’m glad I got photos of it with trains when I did. Provo is hopping now, they have a bulk cement unloading spot setup on one of the tracks that is always busy, even at night.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/15/19 07:50
Author: spider1319

Great photo and update.I wondered how long the shop would last.Bill Webb

Date: 05/15/19 08:16
Author: 3rdswitch

Great shot but sad at the same time.
JB

Date: 05/15/19 09:41
Author: E25

So, is any coal still coming from the Wildcat mine?  If so, how does the coal get from Wildcat to UP Jct.?

That was sure a neat operation when all the ALCOs were hauling coal out of Wattis, Hiawatha and Wildcat, etc.

Greg Stadter
Phoenix, AZ

Date: 05/15/19 11:31
Author: donner_dude1

E25 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, is any coal still coming from the Wildcat
> mine?  If so, how does the coal get from Wildcat
> to UP Jct.?
>

There are only 2 active Coal Mines in the area, 1) Dugout (NE of Price) and 2) Skyline (near Scofield).

The last I heard Skyline's output is loaded on the Pleasant Valley Branch (loadout) and Dugout's output is trucked to the Savage Loadout (Price). UP's website does list Banning (Sunnyside Branch) as a possible loadout but the structure looked mothballed on my 2018 trip. . 

In Fall of 2018 I did see Coal Trucks Loading at the Skyline Silo and heading towards Price. I assume they were headed to Savage.   

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/19 11:33 by donner_dude1.

Date: 05/15/19 13:02
Author: cozephyr

Savage Loadout is the place I hear coal loads originating.  Appreciate all the feedback.  Wildcat is out of service at this time.

Date: 05/15/19 13:23
Author: TonyJ

Ditto on the great photo!

Date: 05/15/19 17:44
Author: Alco251

When I was last in the general office building (1983) there were probably thousands of dollars worth of antique roll-top desks, still in service...

Date: 05/16/19 16:54
Author: ns1000

Nice pic!!

Date: 05/16/19 19:40
Author: callum_out

For those of us who remember days past that shot is shocking! In the latter Alco days the shop would be in total
hustle some days getting together enough good running units to get up the hill. The assortments, especially when
the RSD12s were around were amazing. Still, the buildings look like they're sitting there waiting for something good
to happen.

Out

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0354 seconds