Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Craig and North Fork branches (DRGW)

Date: 05/15/19 15:37
Craig and North Fork branches (DRGW)
Author: tolland

Some commentary below about the future of the DRGW across Colorado and Utah brought some thought to me. I would be most concerned about the Craig and the North Fork branches because of the decline of coal traffic over these lines. I'd be very curious to see if UP downgrades the CTC on the Craig branch, takes down the signals and it becomes dark territory. But my speculation is just that....

Jim Burrill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/19 15:38 by tolland.

Date: 05/15/19 15:38
Re: Craig and North Fork branches....
Author: callum_out

Long once a week haul to Craig.

Out

Date: 05/15/19 18:11
Author: bradleymckay

There seems to be more concern about the Craig Branch than the North Fork. It might have something to do with the quality of coal at Energy and West Elk. Buyers are very picky and they are all looking for the highest BTU coal with the lowest ash content at the right price. Same thing in the PRB.

Allen

Posted from Android

Date: 05/16/19 05:51
Author: SD45X

Takes an act of God to remove a signal system.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/16/19 15:15
Author: donner_dude1

bradleymckay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There seems to be more concern about the Craig
> Branch than the North Fork. It might have
> something to do with the quality of coal at Energy
> and West Elk. Buyers are very picky and they are
> all looking for the highest BTU coal with the
> lowest ash content at the right price. Same thing
> in the PRB.
>
> Allen
>

Plus the North Elk Mine is close enough to the West Coast ports for Exporting oversees. There's what 1-2 trains a day heading west from Soldier Summit to West Coast ports. 

When I visited the Craig Branch for a couple a days both in Fall 2017 & 2018  the only thing I saw moving was the Hayden Shuttle unloading the train at the power plant. Nothing was being loaded at Twentymile Loadout either day.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0497 seconds