Home Open Account Help 267 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Nampa Sub: Snake River Manifest Near Glenns Ferry, Idaho

Date: 05/18/19 07:04
UP Nampa Sub: Snake River Manifest Near Glenns Ferry, Idaho
Author: philhoov

As I've mentioned before, one of my favorite railfanning spots is the Glenns Ferry, Idaho area.
I had three good days of fanning this past week while RV camping at beautiful Three Island State Park in Glenns Ferry.
This short manifest, led by UP #2754, is alongside the majestic Snake River, about three miles east of Glenns Ferry, alongside Old U.S. 30.
Phil

Date: 05/18/19 10:33
Re: UP Nampa Sub: Snake River Manifest Near Glenns Ferry, Idaho
Author: mojaveflyer

Nice shot! Is that a slide fence by the head end?

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 05/18/19 12:44

Thanks James!
Yes, that's a slide fence for the sandstone bluff on the other side of Old U.S 30, across the road from the tracks.
I avoid parking on that side of the road when fanning for fear of my Yukon getting wiped out.
There were three large boulders on the edge of the road below that bluff this past week.
Phil

Date: 05/18/19 19:11
Author: kyrasmus

Same train between Cheney and Marshall, WA, and then crossing Latah Creek at Empire.

The thing that made me realize I saw this train was the orange QC boxcar 9 cars back - you don't see many of those!!

Date: 05/18/19 20:36
Author: spwolfmtn

My guess when I saw the original photo at Glenns Ferry was that the train was one of those new PSR trains, the MPCSK, made to bypass humping at Hinkle.  Looks like the UP is running some pretty short trains now to avoid those hump yards, even though they are switching the cars themselves more often and at more yards.  Must be some of that "PSR logic" that I can't seem to comprehend.

Same crazy stuff that's happening over here in the Portland area too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/19 20:37 by spwolfmtn.

Date: 05/18/19 20:41

I'm trying to figure out how a train @ Glenns Ferry, ID ended up west of Spokane, WA?
Phil

Date: 05/18/19 21:11
Author: kyrasmus

MPCET - Pocatello, ID to Eastport, ID via Oregon and Washington

Date: 05/19/19 08:43
Author: bobdavis

Classic photo spot!  I haven't been out that way for quite a while; thanks for sharing.

Bob
Thayne, WY

Date: 05/20/19 07:46
Author: HH

philhoov Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...one of my favorite railfanning spots is the Glenns Ferry, Idaho area.

Great spot!  I've stood in that exact location one late December day; recall that the river was an incredible deep blue.
King Hill, just east of there, is also awesome...great telephoto opportunities of trains assaulting the 4-mile (or so) grade to reach the plateau.

Hopmere Hank

Date: 05/20/19 08:32

Hank ~
When I was there last week, I went up past King Hill over the freeway to the top of King Hill.
That's a good shooting location too as the trains struggle up that long grade.
Phil

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0522 seconds