Home Open Account Help 303 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Question Regarding Altamont, Wyoming

Date: 05/19/19 22:21
Question Regarding Altamont, Wyoming
Author: DRGW3002

I have a question that I've been unable to find the answer to anywher online.  

What is/was the small brick building situated between Mains 1 and 2 at Altamont, Wyoming just west of the Aspen and Altamont Tunnels?

I had the good fortune to shoot 4014 eastbound here a week ago, and figure that the small structure must date from the days when the 4000s ran in regular service here, but I've been unable to find any information about this structure and/or any photos showing steam back in regular service days passing it.

I'd be most grateful for anyone that could help.

Thanks,

Dave

Date: 05/20/19 05:18
Re: Question Regarding Altamont, Wyoming
Author: steamfan49

DRGW3002 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is/was the small brick building situated
> between Mains 1 and 2 at Altamont, Wyoming just
> west of the Aspen and Altamont Tunnels?
> Dave

Dave, I wondered the same thing as I kept seeing small red brick buildings along I-80 in Wyoming.  I googled the question and I think the building you refer to, could very well be one of these:
What Are These Buildings?
The red brick buildings, distributed along I-80, are telephone line equalizer stations that clear, strengthen, and direct telephone transmissions.

Ronnie McCallay
Cañon City, CO

Date: 05/20/19 06:24
Author: Bob3985

Back in the ancient days when I was going to the University of Utah, traveling back and forth to home in Illinois, my father who worked for Illinois Bell,  told me those buildings were part of the AT&T long lines. I believe they may have to do with boosting the power of the signal in the phone lines.
Perhaps someine might know for sure. They seemed to be like every 25 to 50 miles apart.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 05/20/19 09:26
Author: CPRR

Who technically owns them today? Would be good to own

Date: 05/20/19 10:31
Author: JimBaker

I believe they were called 'repeaters'.
I worked for AT&T Long Lines, but was an inside Tech, not an outside Technician.

James R.(Jim) Baker
Whittier, CA

Date: 05/20/19 11:01
Author: howeld

I was out for steam and also noticed those brick buildings. A lot of money was spent building them to last.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/21/19 11:44
Author: Gonut1

Definately Repeaters, even the transocean phone lines used them encapsulated in the cable. Not brick cabins but individual transformers at regular intervals. I suppose UP owns them for their code, phone or whatever copper lines they use today. 
​Go

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0844 seconds