Home Open Account Help 362 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP not at it's finest

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 06/10/19 21:55
UP not at it's finest
Author: BrianA

I am not sure which was worse, the tagged, dirty, fading and burn marks on UP 7123 or the "faded flag" 5477 on the other end of the power set at South Seattle this afternoon.

UP 4014 may be in the public spotlight now but this can't be helping UP's image.

Brian Ambrose
Renton, WAl

Date: 06/10/19 22:20
Re: UP not at it's finest
Author: TexBob

Nobody these days even notices trains (grade crossing annoyance excepted), much less the motive power, to even
have an opinion about the appearance of the power vis a vis UP's corporate image.

Even if people were paying attention, UP does not give a flying flip about what you or I, or anybody in the general public
thinks about the UP. They are laser-focused on cutting costs, impressing Wall Street and getting paid.  Full stop.

Robert Pierce
Sugar Land, TX
SWRails.com

Date: 06/11/19 00:52
Author: Hookdragkick

Still better-looking than #1111.

Date: 06/11/19 01:00
Author: EricSP

Most people do not even know what railroad(s) run through their town.

Date: 06/11/19 03:09
Author: CaliforniaSteam

You should see how the cabs look inside.

CS

Date: 06/11/19 03:55
Author: dcfbalcoS1

Most people don't even know that a railroad of any kind runs through their town. And they still don't know even when crossing railroad tracks.

Date: 06/11/19 05:04
Author: BAB

My thoughts on this topic is just like semi trucks many dont really notice them but since most tractors are at the least kept clean and many have better paint jobs than cars they do stand out.  We tend to pick out what items we like and take a better look. I like semi tractors and trains both also do notice how well they are kept.  Seems UP cant get a break on here no matter what oh well just another TO day.

Date: 06/11/19 05:58
Author: CSX602

Trucks have to share the road with the general public and thus have to keep their equipment looking good...   A tattered and torn 18-wheeler, even if functionally safe, is going to give the appearance of a poorly maintained vehicle and generate complaints on the road (and more fequent attention by law enforcement).

Date: 06/11/19 07:39
Author: g-spotter1

You would be surprised how much the public really does notice the condition of infrastructure associated with industry.  There is a reason that corprate image is still a thing.  How much it matters, and how that translates toward the bottom line is a harder nut to crack.  Long term, it matters.

Date: 06/11/19 08:18
Author: PasadenaSub

A coworker of mine recently thought that the cars were powered (as well as the diesels) in a typical freight train.
So many misconceptions (or apathy) for trains among the general public.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/19 08:18 by PasadenaSub.

Date: 06/11/19 08:22
Author: ntharalson

While I agree with the thoughts behind this, to be fair to the UP, they are repainting the AC4400CW's.  As for the "faded flag", maybe another good reason not to use it.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 06/11/19 10:37
Author: toledopatch

ntharalson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> While I agree with the thoughts behind this, to be
> fair to the UP, they are repainting the
> AC4400CW's.  As for the "faded flag", maybe
> another good reason not to use it.

I'm fine with displaying and representing the flag in a respectful manner, but I think UP's use of the flag as a dominant decoration on its locomotives borders on violating the U.S. Flag Code -- especially when those decorations degrade. 
  • (i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.
  • (j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

•  

Date: 06/11/19 11:37
Author: santafe199

toledopatch Wrote: > ...  I'm fine with displaying and representing the flag in a respectful manner, but ............

I'm in complete agreement! When some RRs displayed a modest American flag on their cabs during the Gulf War in support of our soldiers I took it for the patriotic gesture that it was. But I've never been supportive of UP's cheeky & shameless display of Old Glory as part of their PR gimmickry. And to let them get dirty, scarred, tagged & badly faded is just dead wrong. While I'm at it, I think their "building America" gag is L-O-N-G overdue for a replacement. Anything!

Lance/199

Date: 06/11/19 12:03
Author: Josta

Good job on the weathering.  Did they use an airbrush or chalks?

John Acosta
Palm Springs, CA

Date: 06/11/19 13:12
Author: SCL1517

AMEN, Lance! This has got to be the most stale, used up, beaten to death ad campaign UP has ever had! By this measure, they should have still been using "We Can Handle It" in 1993! Time to put "Building America" out of its misery (vis-a-vis disgraceful flags). Just PUHLEEZE go back to being UNION PACIFIC on the all too rare repaints that roll out of Jenks these days.

Date: 06/11/19 13:59
Author: willobi

No money for paint, or upkeep at all with PSR. It's only purpose is to increase that bottom line and give shareholders more profits.

Date: 06/11/19 14:33
Author: Txtrainman60

Hookdragkick Wrote:

A-MEN!
> Still better-looking than #1111.

Date: 06/11/19 15:00
Author: railfan400

I agree that UP's use of the flag is overdone and can be disgraceful at times. I'd be okay with it if Union Pacific had a limited number of special "flag" locomotives that were kept clean and in good condition. I also hate seeing businesses that use oversize flags or a sea of flags as a "hey look at me" attention getter, more as advertising than patriotism. I recently passed by an auto dealership which had around 40 large flags ringing their property, over half of which appeared ragged and/or dirty.

santafe199 Wrote:
> toledopatch Wrote: > ...  I'm fine with
> displaying and representing the flag in a
> respectful manner, but ............
> But I've never
> been supportive of UP's cheeky & shameless display
> of Old Glory as part of their PR gimmickry. And
> to let them get dirty, scarred, tagged & badly
> faded is just dead wrong.
>
> Lance/199

Date: 06/11/19 15:32
Author: SantaFeRuss

That AC44CW looks like a locomotive that's currently in service as a workaday engine that works hard daily for what it was acquired for. Doing its job and lookin' like it. Don't like a flagged unit? Tell Union Pacific to take the flag off the units and don't put anymore flags on New and repainted units. See how far you get.

SantaFeRuss

Date: 06/11/19 16:58
Author: lowwater

THANK you!!!

toledopatch Wrote:
> ntharalson Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > While I agree with the thoughts behind this, to
> be
> > fair to the UP, they are repainting the
> > AC4400CW's.  As for the "faded flag", maybe
> > another good reason not to use it.
>
> I'm fine with displaying and representing the flag
> in a respectful manner, but I think UP's use of
> the flag as a dominant decoration on its
> locomotives borders on violating the U.S. Flag
> Code -- especially when those decorations
> degrade. 
>
>
  • (i) The flag should never be used for
    > advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It
    > should not be embroidered on such articles as
    > cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or
    > otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or
    > anything that is designed for temporary use and
    > discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened
    > to a staff or halyard from which the flag is
    > flown.
    >
  • (j) No part of the flag should ever be used as
    > a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag
    > patch may be affixed to the uniform of military
    > personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of
    > patriotic organizations. The flag represents a
    > living country and is itself considered a living
    > thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a
    > replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the
    > heart.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0921 seconds