Home Open Account Help 216 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Sandstone Cut in Last Light

Date: 06/14/19 20:28
Sandstone Cut in Last Light
Author: BoilingMan

A UPRR EB passing "through" what was a cut back in CPRR days- double tracking pretty much took it out.  This is near Dutch Flat on Donner- apx MP 155.5.
SR

That's KCS 4872 trailing.

Date: 06/14/19 20:36
Re: Sandstone Cut in Last Light
Author: highgreengraphics

Very nice B&W image! === === = === JLH

Date: 06/14/19 21:18
Author: tgcostello

Nice photo.
TC

Date: 06/15/19 11:03
Author: coach

I love geology--one of the reaosns I love railfanning.  Would this historic cut be west or east of Dutch Flat on the rail line?  And for railfnas out there:  the very historic Dutch Flat Hotel is once again open, under new ownership.  I stayed there recently and loved it.  Great rooms, little store across the street, Post Office.  The hotel has a huge kitchen that is well stocked where you can cook your own meals.  Loved it.  Great talking with other guests, too.  And right across the street is the fantastic GOLDEN DRIFT MUSEUM, if you love mining and Gold Rush lore.  Really great place to visit.

Date: 06/15/19 11:16

Go to the Main Street grade crossing (up towards Alta) and look West- you’ll see it.

Yes, the previous owner went all out on that kitchen. We’ve been bugging the new owner to maybe open it for breakfasts again, but I guess they’re reluctant to open that particular can of worms.

The museum is open noon-4:00 Fri-Sat-Sunday May into September. But if you’re planning to be in the area just PM me and I’ll open it for you (or find someone who can).
SR

Date: 06/16/19 01:52
Author: coach

BoilingMan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Go to the Main Street grade crossing (up towards
> Alta) and look West- you’ll see it.
>
> Yes, the previous owner went all out on that
> kitchen. We’ve been bugging the new owner to
> maybe open it for breakfasts again, but I guess
> they’re reluctant to open that particular can of
> worms.
>
> The museum is open noon-4:00 Fri-Sat-Sunday May
> into September. But if you’re planning to be in
> the area just PM me and I’ll open it for you
> (or find someone who can).
> SR

Great--thanks!  I will be up there sometime in the next 3-4 weeks, on a weekend.  Will let you know.

Date: 06/16/19 03:30

The museum will be open weekends, as I’ve described, and I expect the Sandstone “Cut” will be also- but we flip to our Summer residence aboard the Good Boat MARIKA PAIGE in Santa Barbara July 1st. We’ll be living the life aquatic thru October.
SR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0369 seconds