Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Signal Sunday: UP had searchlights, too!

Date: 06/16/19 03:34
Signal Sunday: UP had searchlights, too!
Author: santafe199

Seven years ago I shot this scene in one of my favorite Topeka locations. I first shot those searchlights back in the late 70’s days of Kodachrome. Being used to seeing nothing but searchlight signals in my beloved Uncle John’s territory I had to remind myself now & then that Uncle Pete also had a few. But dang few, ‘round these here parts! I did manage to shoot these signals a couple of times in glorious Kodachrome.

When I retired and came home from Montana I was very glad to see they were still in place here at Furman Rd. Then I heard their retirement was imminent, so I did my best to get as many shots as I could. But it seemed like the interloper replacements were erected pretty fast, ruining the scene. And now, almost 5 years have gone by! Where DOES the time go…

1. UP 7419 is approaching Furman St with a stacker on June 24,2012.

2. Looking east from Furman Rd on September 5, 2014. The new signals will soon be put into service.
(2 photos taken in Topeka, KS)

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/19 03:35 by santafe199.

Date: 06/16/19 07:02
Re: Signal Sunday: UP had searchlights, too!
Author: gcm

Great shots and signals (the old ones).
Gary

Date: 06/16/19 07:19
Author: bmarti7

Interesting location Lance. In all my Topeka years we never sat there but just west at Lower Silver Lake Rd.

BB

Date: 06/16/19 07:53
Author: King_Coal

Nice pole-line too.

Date: 06/16/19 09:00
Author: Ritzville

Great to see the old signals in action on the signal bridge which we now miss along with the pole line. At least I mss the pole line.

Larry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0395 seconds