Home Open Account Help 276 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Weather and Trains on Mt Shasta Saturday Evening

Date: 06/16/19 15:50
Weather and Trains on Mt Shasta Saturday Evening
Author: TCnR

There's been small weather disturbacnces going through northern California the past few days, combined with the extra light as we near Summer Solstice and a timely northbound Z train it was a good afternoon to go to the north side of the mountain for some train photos.

#1 the Z marching uphill past Black Butte siding and the namesake Black Butte Cinder cone. The structure is actually every bit of a miniature volcano owing it's appearance to 'overlapping flows of dacite lava', although up close it looks like a big pile of rocks.

The track going off to the right is the beginning of th eold SP Siskiyou Branch that is now operated by CORP. The track structure in the foreground is part of the manually operated and locked derail device off to the side that protects the two track siding in the middle of the wye. In the case of an unattended car that begins to roll downhill towards the mainline the derail device and the diverging rails are intended to make sure an errant and purposely derailed car moves away from the track.

#2 A brisk chase to a spot near the old SP Couger siding allowed a view with the north side of Mt Shasta in the background. As we've noted recently the foreground is getting overrun with good sized trees. Note that this time of year the sunset is near it's most northern excursion and the lighting works out really well in this section of track.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/19 16:41 by TCnR.

Date: 06/16/19 15:50
Re: Weather and Trains on Mt Shasta Saturday Evening
Author: TCnR

#3  Radio chatter revealed a second train in the area, a few minutes latter a NB train of empties rumbled by. I had set up at the old SP Cougar siding for a SB but then moved over to the cut for the NB coming through the cut with Mt Shasta in the background. The UP 9018 locomotive is unusual with the yellow edge on the plow, I believe that was discussed on TO a short time ago.

#4  It became obvious that a train was in the siding at Grass Lake and rolled by both NB trains, a few minutes later UP 8917 South rolls by with long shadows on the scene. Cougar siding has been featured in many photos of the SP, I haven't been here for a while and was surprised by all the trees in alongside the tracks, Deer Mountain road and the narrow bridge are barely visible.

#5  Shooting 'stock' of the sunset on the mountain with the coyotes and mosquitoes. In this situation the trick is to wait until a few moments after sunset to get the light passing through the higher atmosphere and provide the pinkish colors. The storm and the change in temperature at the higher altitudes provided some unusual clouds. Thought you might want to check it out.

Enjoy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/19 16:04 by TCnR.

Date: 06/16/19 16:49
Author: callum_out

Those strange colors are due to the influx of space aliens into Jefferson,

Out

Date: 06/16/19 17:18
Author: dmaffei

Nice photos Neigbor
Glad you’re out while PhotoBob is flying planes on flight simulator

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/16/19 18:09
Author: mojaveflyer

Great train shots but the Mt Shasta shot is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing...

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 06/16/19 18:22
Author: photobob

Clive that's a pretty brisk chase to get from Black Butte to Cougar especially that location on the other end of the cut. I may be home on my flight simulator but there is an air conditioner two feet from me. Real nice shots Clive I'm glad you are getting out and doing it.

Robert Morris
Dunsmuir, CA
Robert Morris Photography

Date: 06/16/19 18:55
Author: DynamicBrake

Bob,
I'm really sorry to have missed your book signing yesterday.  I got the soft back when they first came out at the Train Shop in Santa Clara.  One of these days when my wife and I are up in D-town again, I will track you down and have you sign it.  BTW, I really enjoy it!
Speaking of flight sims, have you ever checked out "flightradar24.com"?  It's a great website that tracks aircraft all over the world.  Basically it's like a mini ATC radar scope.  You can "dial in" your local area and adjust the range. 
Take care Bob and I hope the book signing was a success.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 06/16/19 21:09
Author: SP8595

Great series! Really like shots #2 and #5. Strange yellow stripe on the bottom of the plow on #9018 and neat UP with CN consist!

Date: 06/16/19 22:08
Author: dmaffei

Shazam...
You've been using your time in town wisely neighbor. Never seen the yellow plow locomotives. Exquisite photos 

Date: 06/17/19 05:25
Author: bobk

Great shots!

Date: 06/17/19 05:47
Author: ns1000

Very nice...!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0553 seconds