Home Open Account Help 156 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Derailment Destroys New Automobiles


Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2


Date: 07/10/19 17:16
Derailment Destroys New Automobiles
Author: walstib

A derailment near the Utah-Nevada border today destroyed scores of new automobiles, according at a report on Fox 13 out of Salt Lake.

Here’s the link:

https://fox13now.com/2019/07/10/dozens-of-brand-new-cars-destroyed-in-spectacular-nevada-train-derailment/

Posted from iPhone



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/19 17:27 by walstib.



Date: 07/10/19 17:43
Re: Derailment Destroys New Automobiles
Author: Lackawanna484

Jeep Rubicon and others.

Is this in the Meadow Valley wash?

Posted from Android



Date: 07/10/19 17:49
Re: Derailment Destroys New Automobiles
Author: bradleymckay

Happened west (south) of Caliente,NV, supposedly near the siding at Boyd. That is right in the middle of what some people refer to as "Rainbow Canyon". It is fairly slow track in that area so derailing 33 cars may indicate something way more serious than a broken rail or wheel...

Allen

Posted from Android



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/19 18:14 by bradleymckay.



Date: 07/10/19 17:52
Re: Derailment Destroys New Automobiles
Author: bradleymckay

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jeep Rubicon and others.
>
> Is this in the Meadow Valley wash?
>
> Posted from Android

Yes, sort of. MVW is generally considered to be between Moapa and the siding at Leith. Rainbow Canyon is between Caliente and Leith.

Excellent area for photography. One of my favorite places on the UP system.

Allen



Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/19 18:18 by bradleymckay.



Date: 07/10/19 18:24
Re: Derailment Destroys New Automobiles
Author: P

Wow - that's a doozy.  Going to be expensive.



Date: 07/10/19 18:50
Re: Derailment Destroys New Automobiles
Author: tomstp

Big dollar pickups and cars.



Date: 07/10/19 22:25
Re: Derailment Destroys New Automobiles
Author: DevalDragon

How much does the railroad get charged for these vehicles? Does Chrysler charge full MSRP of do they get some kind of discount?



Date: 07/11/19 05:05
Re: Derailment Destroys New Automobiles
Author: Plowhandle

bradleymckay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>  It is fairly slow track in that area so
> derailing 33 cars may indicate something way more
> serious than a broken rail or wheel...
>
> Allen
>
> Posted from Android

Ya think, Allen ?

 



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/19 12:05 by Plowhandle.








Date: 07/11/19 08:20
Re: Derailment Destroys New Automobiles
Author: BAB

DevalDragon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How much does the railroad get charged for these
> vehicles? Does Chrysler charge full MSRP of do
> they get some kind of discount?

Looks like the cars were of mixed manufacture as there were GMC pickups also.  Know of one wreck years back, all went to a wrecking yard that had any damage and scrapped.



Date: 07/11/19 08:22
Re: Derailment Destroys New Automobiles
Author: toledopatch

BAB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like the cars were of mixed manufacture as
> there were GMC pickups also.  Know of one wreck
> years back, all went to a wrecking yard that had
> any damage and scrapped.

Every vehicle on board an autorack that derails has to be condemned, even if there's no visible damage.



Date: 07/11/19 08:40
Re: Derailment Destroys New Automobiles
Author: Waybiller

toledopatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BAB Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Looks like the cars were of mixed manufacture
> as
> > there were GMC pickups also.  Know of one
> wreck
> > years back, all went to a wrecking yard that
> had
> > any damage and scrapped.
>
> Every vehicle on board an autorack that derails
> has to be condemned, even if there's no visible
> damage.

That includes all parts on the vehicle too.



Date: 07/11/19 11:01
Re: Derailment Destroys New Automobiles
Author: bradleymckay

Plowhandle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> bradleymckay Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >  It is fairly slow track in that area so
> > derailing 33 cars may indicate something way
> more
> > serious than a broken rail or wheel...
> >
> > Allen
> >
> > Posted from Android
>
> Ya think, Allen ?
>
> (Photos Cesar Cardona)

What, you want me to speculate as to the cause, then get hammered for speculation?? No thanks.

Allen



Date: 07/11/19 11:36
Re: Derailment Destroys New Automobiles
Author: DevalDragon

bradleymckay Wrote:
----------------------------
> What, you want me to speculate as to the cause,
> then get hammered for speculation?? No thanks.
>
> Allen

Dude, this is Trainorders. You will get hammered no matter what you say.



Date: 07/11/19 13:39
Re: Derailment Destroys New Automobiles
Author: cinder

Sometimes, it's just best to "get hammered" BEFORE you post.



Date: 07/11/19 13:47
Re: Derailment Destroys New Automobiles
Author: goneon66

has anybody heard about what caused this?

66



Date: 07/11/19 14:23
Re: Derailment Destroys New Automobiles
Author: dendroica

toledopatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BAB Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Looks like the cars were of mixed manufacture
> as
> > there were GMC pickups also.  Know of one
> wreck
> > years back, all went to a wrecking yard that
> had
> > any damage and scrapped.
>
> Every vehicle on board an autorack that derails
> has to be condemned, even if there's no visible
> damage.

If true that's pretty stupid and wasteful. Why but just write them off as totaled then auction to the highest bidder same as happens with cars wrecked in the road?

Posted from Android



Date: 07/11/19 14:34
Re: Derailment Destroys New Automobiles
Author: ns1000

One word......LIABILITY......??!!!

Thats not forget the world we all live in now......



Date: 07/11/19 15:22
Re: Derailment Destroys New Automobiles
Author: Lackawanna484

With the increasing backlog of unsold cars in some models, the maker may be better off collecting insurance.

Posted from Android



Date: 07/11/19 17:11
Re: Derailment Destroys New Automobiles
Author: alco244

in the early 90's i hauled new cars from auto plants, one day in Atlanta GA, the company i worked for, had to pay for 3 ford Taurus's, i was told they were charged the price to manufacture the car, not the msrp, a rep from ford inventoried the complete car, had them hauled away and witnessed them crushed as is, nothing removed. i was told this is to prevent schemes to buy and sell damaged cars as used, and warranty problems and liability issues by the way, that jeep looks like a wheel chock!



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/19 17:15 by alco244.



Date: 07/11/19 17:16
Re: Derailment Destroys New Automobiles
Author: tomstp

Alco, that is correct.



Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2


[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0874 seconds