Home Open Account Help 199 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UPS?

Date: 07/11/19 09:31
UPS?
Author: texchief1

I ordered a pair of slacks  and they are arriving tomorrow via UPS. They are coming fron New Jersey to central, TX in 5 days.  Could that be by rail or air?

Thanks if you have any idea.

Randy Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 07/11/19 09:42
Re: UPS?
Author: DevalDragon

Jersey to Texas in 5 days is certainty not air. Probably a truck / train combination.

Date: 07/11/19 09:43
Author: walstib

Did you look at the tracking detail for your package?

That will often yield some clues as to your package’s routing.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/11/19 10:50
Author: texchief1

Must be rail.  It shows it to be in Vinita, OK this morning.  That would be on UP.

Thanks for your answers.

Randy Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 07/11/19 11:34
Author: DevalDragon

Absolutely it's going by truck. Vinita (Big Cabin) is where DFW traffic from the east coast gets off I-44 to take US 69 / 75 down to Dallas and beyond.

If you're ever in Vinita make sure you stop by Clanton's cafe for the best Chicken Fried Steak you'll ever have!

Date: 07/11/19 14:22
Author: Highspeed

DevalDragon Wrote:
-----------------------------------------------
> ...best Chicken Fried Steak
> you'll ever have!

Wouldn’t that be a contradiction in terms?

Date: 07/11/19 14:45
Author: CCDeWeese

Not in Texas

Date: 07/11/19 17:10
Author: flarails882

UPS is not going to rely on rail as much anymore. It was signed in the last contract that they will hire 2,000 yes 2,000  team drivers. Like right now. I'm starting to see lots of new White freightliner sleepers....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/19 00:39 by flarails882.

Date: 07/11/19 17:25
Author: walstib

When I was waiting trackside for the 4014/844 to depart east from Granger back in May, I ran into a couple of uniformed UPS drivers there to watch. Their big rig was parked nearby.

When I chatted them up and mentioned how I had been seeing a lot more UPS big rigs on the road than in the past, they told me the carrier was making a big push into highway trucks, with less dependence on rail.

I wasn’t sure what to make of it at the time, so it’s interesting now to read about the contract mentioned above.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/11/19 17:39
Author: Eagle22

Vinita is also the location of a big McDonald's located right along I-44. I have eaten in there and it is quite nice and also neat because you are eating above the highway.  Lots of historic pictures inside the restaurant. I have shipped packages to St. Louis and have noticed the drivers make a stop in Vinita, probably the McDonald's. I wonder if the recent change to "PSR" type railroading has caused UPS to change its logistics decisions. Sometimes, I wonder if they make decisons based on major track projects but still use rail on the weekends for some routes such as the one to St. Louis. One of my packages went all the way to Joliet then back to St. Louis which makes me think rail. I don't believe Dupo serves UPS containers.

Date: 07/11/19 23:30
Author: coach

UPS making a big push into highway rigs, in a very tight driver market???????!!!??!!!  What in the world happened with rail service for them to change direction so strongly?????

This is really surprising!  What happened???

Date: 07/12/19 00:03
Author: aronco

Do not stand trackside on the BNSF transcon.  It is a steady stream of trains with lots of UPS, FedEx, YRC, and other truck line trailers.

TIOGA PASS

Norman Orfall
Helendale, CA
TIOGA PASS, a private railcar

Date: 07/12/19 05:38
Author: Lackawanna484

How do UPS driver pay level and conditions compare to the Wal-Mart, Target, JB Hunt, etc levels?

Posted from Android

Date: 07/12/19 07:52
Author: ntharalson

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How do UPS driver pay level and conditions compare
> to the Wal-Mart, Target, JB Hunt, etc levels?
>

Don't know exactly but remember, UPS is unionized.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 07/12/19 08:18
Author: mapboy

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How do UPS driver pay level and conditions compare
> to the Wal-Mart, Target, JB Hunt, etc levels?
>
30 years ago, Frito-Lay (owned by Pepsico) was non-union but paid decent.  The drivers dreamed of working for UPS.  Don't know about now.

mapboy

Date: 07/12/19 10:02
Author: Lackawanna484

Thanks.

I know seasonal work is highly sought after.

In this part of FL, UPS and Costco are considered very good employers.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/13/19 00:11
Author: coach

Our line haul LTL drivers make $100,000+ on certain routes.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0418 seconds