Home Open Account Help 144 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Gila Sub/Tucson Div.


Date: 07/11/19 18:28
Gila Sub/Tucson Div.
Author: HardYellow

I was driving over from San Diego to Tucson this morning. Looks like UP is starting double track (2-MT) work from Aztec west to Stoval . They're also in the process of removing search light signals between Piedra and Gila.



Date: 07/11/19 18:34
Re: Gila Sub/Tucson Div.
Author: RailFanAZ

Interesting since AZTec just got extended to 15,500 a month or so ago.  CP Theba had new signals just not installed yet.  Gila Bend and no signs of new signal installations at both ends, just the middle signal had a new base added.

Christina
RailFanning UP & BNSF, AZ
RailFanAZ.com



Date: 07/11/19 19:59
Re: Gila Sub/Tucson Div.
Author: HardYellow

RailFanAZ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting since AZTec just got extended to
> 15,500 a month or so ago.  

Wonder what UP's thinking was by doing that.  Why not tie Stanwick with Aztec? Or Mohawk with Aztec.



Date: 07/11/19 20:05
Re: Gila Sub/Tucson Div.
Author: RailFanAZ

HardYellow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> RailFanAZ Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Interesting since AZTec just got extended to
> > 15,500 a month or so ago.  
>
> Wonder what UP's thinking was by doing that.  Why
> not tie Stanwick with Aztec? Or Mohawk with Aztec.

That is a good question.  Attached are the three sidings (circled) the UP just changed within the last 2 months.

Christina
RailFanning UP & BNSF, AZ
RailFanAZ.com




Date: 07/12/19 06:30
Re: Gila Sub/Tucson Div.
Author: HardYellow

RailFanAZ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> HardYellow Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > RailFanAZ Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Interesting since AZTec just got extended to
> > > 15,500 a month or so ago.  
> >
> > Wonder what UP's thinking was by doing that.
>  Why
> > not tie Stanwick with Aztec? Or Mohawk with
> Aztec.
>
> That is a good question.  Attached are the three
> sidings (circled) the UP just changed within the
> last 2 months.

My guess would be...where they are extending sidings, that's where the crossovers will be when they finally double track (2-MT) the entire line. 



Date: 07/12/19 14:14
Re: Gila Sub/Tucson Div.
Author: mapboy

In line with what HardYellow said, friend Ralph James comments-
"Last time I was thru there was work in progress at those three locations [Bosque, Piedra and Aztec] at the east, west and west ends respectively.   There would be no logic in connecting Aztec with Stoval as that would leave a short ST section to Mohawk and would not fit the obvious pattern of universal X-overs every ten miles, give or take.  The presently “missing” DT section is around Gila Bend, which would be the next logical place to install a DT island with at least one universal X-over on the ten mile pattern.  Anything else would not be best use of capital funds and would not match the the obvious ultimate plan."

mapboy



Date: 07/12/19 15:30
Re: Gila Sub/Tucson Div.
Author: HardYellow

mapboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In line with what HardYellow said, friend Ralph
> James comments-
> "Last time I was thru there was work in progress
> at those three locations at the east, west and
> west ends respectively.   There would be no
> logic in connecting Aztec with Stoval as that
> would leave a short ST section to Mohawk and would
> not fit the obvious pattern of universal X-overs
> every ten miles, give or take.  The presently
> “missing” DT section is around Gila Bend,
> which would be the next logical place to install a
> DT island with at least one universal X-over on
> the ten mile pattern.  Anything else would not be
> best use of capital funds and would not match the
> the obvious ultimate plan."
>
> mapboy

Time will tell...I still bet they will be cross overs. Working for UP, I've see how they do things. 



Date: 07/12/19 15:40
Re: Gila Sub/Tucson Div.
Author: BCHellman

I was through the area about a month ago and all I saw was the extension of Aztec. 

From my understanding there is no immediate plan to finish double track in the remaining areas of single track, just extend three sidings on the Tucson Division, and two on the Los Angeles Division, Mecca and another one I forgot.

The crossing of the Colorado at Yuma will probably remain single track for the rest of my life.



Date: 07/12/19 17:48
Re: Gila Sub/Tucson Div.
Author: RailFanAZ

BCHellman Wrote:
> From my understanding there is no immediate plan
> to finish double track in the remaining areas of
> single track, just extend three sidings on the
> Tucson Division,

Yup, the three sidings have been completed and in use since mid-June.  They are AZTec, Piedra, and Bosque.  They did not extend Theba or Shawmut.

Christina
RailFanning UP & BNSF, AZ
RailFanAZ.com



Date: 07/12/19 19:46
Re: Gila Sub/Tucson Div.
Author: ble692

The plans is to extend 5 sidings an additional 7,000-7500 feet in length to now be around 15,000 feet in length or so. Three on the Gila Sub (Bosque, Piedra, Aztec) and two on the Yuma Sub (Clyde + 1 other). I guess Mecca is the additonal one on the Yuma Sub. The Gila Sub work is already complete while the Yuma Sub work is still ongoing and planned for completion in August.



Date: 07/13/19 08:05
Re: Gila Sub/Tucson Div.
Author: HardYellow

I really don't see what extending a few sidings is going to accomplish, maybe meet two trains instead of one, more room to tie-down trains when crews go dead. Only place where I've seen long sidings help were Tehachapis and Beaumont Hill...all slower speeds than the Gila Sub. BTW...I've worked all three areas as an engineer.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/19 09:14 by HardYellow.



Date: 07/13/19 10:45
Re: Gila Sub/Tucson Div.
Author: mococomike

hardyellow to accomadate monster stack trains.



Date: 07/13/19 11:25
Re: Gila Sub/Tucson Div.
Author: goneon66

exactly.  longer sidings=longer trains=REDUCED crew starts.  the question is, will they plug the terminals/crew change points?

66



Date: 07/13/19 11:33
Re: Gila Sub/Tucson Div.
Author: RailFanAZ

goneon66 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the question is, will they plug theterminals/crew change points?
>
> 66

Already happening @ Tucson.  Sometimes they have 2-3 waiting to enter Tucson and guess what the Dispatcher says on the Radio? "We don't have a crew so just tie up on the main #2."   Heard it plenty of times on the radio since they started PSR.

Christina
RailFanning UP & BNSF, AZ
RailFanAZ.com



Date: 07/13/19 13:51
Re: Gila Sub/Tucson Div.
Author: HardYellow

Yeah...I forgot about the monster stack trains. When I was still working for UPRR, they didn't want the engineer to use the "Fence" and run the helpers separately. They insisted on the "UP Way." That is, what ever throttle or braking position the head end is, that's where the helper(s) were also to be. We'll see how that works with their monster trains, with cut in and rear helpers. One thinking for sure...the old SP knew how to operated helper units. 



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0757 seconds