Home Open Account Help 399 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Alco blunt trucks versus AAR trucks

Date: 07/13/19 21:16
Alco blunt trucks versus AAR trucks
Author: brc600

Alco question:What were/are the advantages and disadvantages of blunt trucks? How about the same for AAR trucks? Are either design still viable? Thanks!

Date: 07/14/19 08:06
Re: Alco blunt trucks versus AAR trucks
Author: engineerinvirginia

I would reckon that by the time the other manufacturers got on board with the AAR design, Alco was left out in the cold....I understand the blunt truck was designed for rough track and that's where it excelled....which makes me think that on on smooth track it might not have been great....perhaps at speeds over ten it got roly poly or something....having never ridden one however I am not sure. 

Date: 07/14/19 10:30
Author: RickL

You might get a better answer on the Nostalgia sections regarding the blunt trucks. There is always some interesting design or engineering reason that shows up in the discussions there.
There is really good technical info here: https://www.american-rails.com/blunt.html

RickL

brc600 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Alco question:What were/are the advantages and
> disadvantages of blunt trucks? How about the same
> for AAR trucks? Are either design still viable?
> Thanks!

Date: 07/14/19 23:16
Author: coach

The Blunt truck worked just fine.  Why would the AAR give a damn about mandating a change??

Date: 07/15/19 10:09
Author: Cumbres

I am curious about this too.  In the web page you linked is the comment that the AAR made Alco change to a type A switcher truck in place of the blunt so that they could remain in compliance with AAR standards.  If that is the case why was EMD allowed to continue the Blomberg truck which I don't believe was an AAR standard either.  

Date: 07/15/19 13:56
Author: brc600

You mean Flexicoil trucks for switchers. Blombergs were on TR1's (IC) and NW3 and NW5's (GN) as well as MP15's.

Cumbres Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am curious about this too.  In the web page you
> linked is the comment that the AAR made Alco
> change to a type A switcher truck in place of the
> blunt so that they could remain in compliance with
> AAR standards.  If that is the case why was EMD
> allowed to continue the Blomberg truck which I
> don't believe was an AAR standard either.  
>  

Date: 07/15/19 14:43
Author: DWDebs/2472

Google and ye shall find... an excellent explanation at UtahRails.com / Locomotive Trucks:  http://utahrails.net/loconotes/loconotes-trucks.php

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0469 seconds