Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > 4014 Going to Home Plate

Date: 07/14/19 09:23
4014 Going to Home Plate
Author: twjurgens

Since we knew there would be huge crowds at Omaha to view the special, we talked about breaking off from the chase at Valley and heading toward home.....like that was going to happen!  We won't get a lot of chances to see this dinosaur in action so wanted to take advantage of the entire day. 

The train was to be on display at Home Plate for Omaha's Railroad Days celebration.  The move to get it there was the same as the other specials I've posted about this summer.  The train pulls onto the BNSF, goes into BNSF's Gibson yard, goes north on the UP river line to the switch for Home Plate, then pulls onto the display track.  The move requires a locomotive on each end and I was glad they used the 1943 this time.   

When the train arrived at Omaha, it picked up the display train at the Amtrak station before going to Gibson yard.  That gave us plenty of time to find a location.  A few blocks east of the station we found a spot where a dad and his two sons were waiting for the move.  They were more than willing to share their spot with us.  We had to do a little weed control work but it was worth the extra effort!  After about an hour of gardening activity and waiting on our part, 4014 and train came by (first 2 views). 

The rest of the attached shots were taken from Con Agra park as the train was pulled north by 1943.  This location is very near UP's original track along the Missouri River in Omaha.

(more)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/19 09:27 by twjurgens.

Date: 07/14/19 09:24
Re: 4014 Going to Home Plate
Author: twjurgens

Almost lost in the 4014 fanaticism was UP’s 8167 which served as designated driver (or whatever you want to call it) on this trip.

I think the fascination with steam engines like this is not just the rarity of seeing one in operation but the fact that they seem to be alive.  Most of the running gear is out in the open to be seen.  The engine's hissing and huffing sounds like breathing.  I shot some video of UP's 3985 pulling away from Durham Museum some 30 years ago.  Watching that and hearing the audio, the engine does actually seem to be breathing. 

4014 will return in early August so if you have a chance, you might want to see this brute in person!  Current plans are for it to arrive in Omaha August 2 and be on display in Omaha at Durham Museum on August 3.  It will go back west on August 4. 

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/19 11:47 by twjurgens.

Date: 07/14/19 10:11
Author: callum_out

OK, those aren't just nice shots they almost make me miss Omaha!!!

Out

Date: 07/14/19 12:53
Author: ntharalson

Good stuff, thaks for positng.  

I have to say I'm surprised UP didn't put SD70M 4014 as the helper behind the Big Boy 4014.  They've done stuff like that in the past.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 07/14/19 14:33
Author: Evan_Werkema

ntharalson Wrote:

> I have to say I'm surprised UP didn't put SD70M
> 4014 as the helper behind the Big Boy 4014. 
> They've done stuff like that in the past.

It's been reported that the SD70M formerly known as UP 4014 has been renumbered UP 4479, filling a number slot left vacant by a wreck-retirement:

https://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2019/05/16-diesel-no-4014-gets-new-number-ahead-of-big-boy-debut

Date: 07/16/19 14:01
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!

Date: 07/16/19 14:47
Author: rustys6004

ntharalson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good stuff, thaks for positng.  
>
> I have to say I'm surprised UP didn't put SD70M
> 4014 as the helper behind the Big Boy 4014. 
> They've done stuff like that in the past.
>
> Nick Tharalson,
> Marion, IA

I'm curious the extent of help the helper provides.  I understand it's providing the HEP for the cars behind, but how much of the tractive load is it shouldering?  Are they just pushing the steamers around these days for show?

Date: 07/16/19 14:52
Author: HotWater

rustys6004 Wrote:
> ntharalson Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Good stuff, thaks for positng.  
> >
> > I have to say I'm surprised UP didn't put SD70M
> > 4014 as the helper behind the Big Boy 4014. 
> > They've done stuff like that in the past.
> >
> > Nick Tharalson,
> > Marion, IA
>
> I'm curious the extent of help the helper
> provides.  I understand it's providing the HEP
> for the cars behind,

No it doesn't! The UP has NO freight diesel capable of providing 480 volt, 3 phase AC power for the passenger cars. There is a Cat Generator set inside the Boiler-Dormitory car (Howard Fogg) which provides HEP for the steam crew consist, and when they are hauling executive passenger cars, there is a larger "power car" in the train consist for the HEP.

but how much of the tractive
> load is it shouldering?

Reportedly,,,,,,,,,NONE. It is only there for dynamic brake assistance on long down grades.

Are they just pushing
> the steamers around these days for show?

No. Don't be silly!

Date: 07/16/19 15:11

HotWater Wrote:
> rustys6004 Wrote:
> -----
> > ntharalson Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Good stuff, thaks for positng.  
> > >
> > > I have to say I'm surprised UP didn't put SD70M 4014 as the helper behind the Big Boy 4014. 
> > > They've done stuff like that in the past.
> > >
> > > Nick Tharalson,
> > > Marion, IA
> >
> > I'm curious the extent of help the helper provides.  I understand it's providing the HEP
> > for the cars behind, ...
>
> No it doesn't! The UP has NO freight diesel capable of providing 480 volt, 3 phase AC power
> for the passenger cars. There is a Cat Generator set inside the Boiler-Dormitory car (Howard Fogg)
> which provides HEP for the steam crew consist, and when they are hauling executive passenger cars,
> there is a larger "power car" in the train consist for the HEP.
>
> > ... but how much of the tractive load is it shouldering?
>
> Reportedly,,,,,,,,,NONE. It is only there for dynamic brake assistance on long down grades.
>
>>  Are they just pushing the steamers around these days for show?
>
> No. Don't be silly!

Didn't mean to appear silly  Some of us just aren't as in the know as some OTHERs of us.  Please remember not everyone here has a full railroad career under their belt, or a lifetime of study on the subject.  I remember now that the HEP was in a special car, and not the diesels.  Not silly, just forgetful.

I know that when older cars are restored they are rarely pushed to limits, and in some cases handled with kid gloves.  If *I* had just restored a 75yo, million pound monster (or any of its lighter, older cousins), I may be tempted to not run it too hard so as to reduce risk of breakage, especially in the first few months of very public operation.  That said, I know that 4014 was built to pull much more load than the short passenger manifest it's currently showcasing, so in practical terms I appers to this humble (and less knowledgable) observer it's not working that hard.

Thanks for the info.  I hope to see it as it traverses Iowa on the way back.

Date: 07/16/19 16:19
Author: HotWater

For what it's worth, generally speaking, one of the worst things to do with a modern, high horsepower steam locomotive is to push it around with a diesel. Why? Well all the forces within the running gear machinery would be reversed, instead of the steam moving the pistons and rods, and thus producing drive wheel rotation. Being "pushed" makes the wheels move the rods & pistons, which is NOT beneficial to long rod bearing life. Thus, working the locomotive at a moderate to medium load, is actually VERY beneficial.

Date: 07/17/19 05:44
Author: Gonut1

Nice shots, thanks for posting.
Gonut

Date: 07/17/19 06:54

HotWater Wrote:
> For what it's worth, generally speaking, one of
> the worst things to do with a modern, high
> horsepower steam locomotive is to push it around
> with a diesel. Why? Well all the forces within the
> running gear machinery would be reversed, instead
> of the steam moving the pistons and rods, and thus
> producing drive wheel rotation. Being "pushed"
> makes the wheels move the rods & pistons, which is
> NOT beneficial to long rod bearing life. Thus,
> working the locomotive at a moderate to medium
> load, is actually VERY beneficial.

That makes PERFECT sense.  Thanks!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.094 seconds