Home Open Account Help 235 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Falls City Local at Union, NE

Date: 07/22/19 15:29
Falls City Local at Union, NE
Author: twjurgens

Last Friday was time for the monthly trek to Omaha for the Camerail meeting.  We left a little earlier than usual in hopes of being able to catch UP's Union to Louisville local.  If that worked out, BNSF also goes through Louisville so we would try to catch some trains there too.

Arriving at Union, we found the Louisville turn already tied up and the Falls City local was building a train getting ready to return to Falls City.

In the first two views, fellow TO member scotty is watching 1531 and 1780 add cars from the Louisville job to the Falls City local’s train.  A former BN carman, I’m sure Scott is watching the cars closely!

Switching moves are almost complete in the last view.  I don't envy this crew working in the heat and humidity.....heat index in Lincoln, 35 or so miles west of Union, was over 100 last Friday.

(more)

Date: 07/22/19 15:31
Re: Falls City Local at Union, NE

In the first of these three views, the smoke would make you think the Falls City job was leaving town but they had one move left.  Scott and I headed south and got the last 2 shots at a crossing 2 miles south of Union.

We always enjoy these trips to Omaha for the Camerail meeting.  Despite the limited number of trains and the fact that two of our usual group couldn't join us this time, it was a good trip!  Looking forward to the next one!

Date: 07/22/19 16:15
Author: callum_out

Nice shots, I know where Falls City is, it's on the alternate route to KC when they're having submarine
races over on I-29!

Out

Date: 07/22/19 16:16

Submarine races is an appropriate description!

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice shots, I know where Falls City is, it's on
> the alternate route to KC when they're having
> submarine
> races over on I-29!
>
> Out

Date: 07/22/19 16:58

That was pretty freaking weird years ago looking down I-29 and seeing it disappear into a lake!

Out

Date: 07/22/19 20:09
Author: SCKP187

Great photos --- locals are always fun as they present several photo opportunities, and really like the standard cabs.
Brian Stevens

Date: 07/22/19 21:16

Amen to that, most of the branches and secondary lines have either 136# CWR or relay and are running
SD70s as local power.
\
Out

Date: 07/23/19 21:54
Author: wesleygreer

The Falls City Sub is still northbound only, except for the local and occasional office car train moves from Council Bluffs.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0333 seconds