Home Open Account Help 250 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Trona Railway

Date: 08/08/19 07:57
Trona Railway
Author: Doodle

On July 15 I read that the railroad had shutdown. Its August now and I was wondering if operations had resumed? I would like to visit this weekend and was hoping to see some action.

Does anyone know if theyre back running trains? If so, what is the usual schedule like out of Trona to Searles?

Thanks all!

-Dan

Date: 08/08/19 12:19
Re: Trona Railway
Author: toledopatch

The Searles Valley Minerals plant sustained significant earthquake damage. I'd be surprised if they've resumed production already and without making any sort of announcement about having done so.

Doodle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On July 15 I read that the railroad had shutdown.
> Its August now and I was wondering if operations
> had resumed? I would like to visit this weekend
> and was hoping to see some action.
>
> Does anyone know if theyre back running trains? If
> so, what is the usual schedule like out of Trona
> to Searles?
>
> Thanks all!
>
> -Dan

Date: 08/09/19 08:10
Re: Trona Railway
Author: CimaScrambler

Last info I have is the plants at Trona are back to full employment but not to full production, which I assume means crews are working on repairs.  Electrical supply is still a problem, leaks in the town water supply keep cropping up and being repaired..  I've not been able to find any details of damage within the facilities, other than general statements.

A couple articles from a week or ten days ago cited Searles Valley Minerals declaring legal Force Majeure, without a specified end date.  I'm not a lawyer, but it seems that phrase means contracts cannot be forclosed against them while the situation lasts.  If anyone understands more about it, please elaborate.
https://www.indmin.com/Article/3885789/No-end-date-for-Searles-Valley-soda-ash-output-force-majeure-after-earthquakes.html
https://www.venable.com/insights/publications/2011/02/understanding-force-majeure-clauses

- k

Kit Courter
Menefee, CA
LunarLight Photography

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/19 08:19 by CimaScrambler.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0372 seconds