Home Open Account Help 367 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > all the ingredients were there...

Date: 08/11/19 20:14
all the ingredients were there...
Author: santafe199

but the train DS had other ideas

From the ‘cleaning-files-off-my-desktop’ department… Here’s a little 2-image file that, to quote noted Robert De Niro character Jake LaMotta, “coulda bin a contenduh”. The routine was working. I was in Topeka on some now forgotten business. Ready to head back home to Manhattan I spotted a westbound crossing the Kaw (Kansas River) for a jaunt down the old Rock Island GSR. It’s not that far out of the way to abandon railfan highway US 24 to take I-70 west, giving me ready access to Willard, Maple Hill, McFarland & Alma. All are photo-worthy stations on Uncle Pete’s version of the GSR and are reasonably on my way home to Manhattan.

For this chase I could see the weather gods had some interesting action brewing up yonder. A darkened sky gave evidence that a storm would occur somewhere. But if I could outrun it I might get one of those dramatic dark sky behind a sunlit train shots someplace. That place looked like it would be Maple Hill, and I found the perfect spot. I had the sinister sky I wanted with a definite train approaching. Most importantly I had a spot with great composition ready for the shooting.

Then 2 things happened. The train took a left turn at the east Maple Hill siding switch for a meet. The engineer stopped short of a distant crossing and doused his headlight. This turn of events evidently caused the weather gods to lose interest ‘cause I never really got that expected sunshine after all...

But hey, this is Kansas. I’ll get another chance someday…

1. The scene was all set: approaching train, dark backdrop and great compositional potential.

2. But I soon observed that UP 7821 took the siding and just shut down, facing a long wait for a meet with an eastbound. I took a record shot and moseyed on down the road…
(2 photos taken at the S Main St crossing at Maple Hill, KS on May 28, 2019)

It was a helluva try, anyhow!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/19 20:16 by santafe199.

Date: 08/11/19 20:49
Re: all the ingredients were there...
Author: Copy19

Time to dig  your Thermos out of your grip and see if the coffee is still warm.

Date: 08/11/19 21:04

Copy19 Wrote: > ...  Time to dig your Thermos out of your grip ...

Ya got that right!!! It's amazing how a good trip can suddenly go south with an unexpected bad/long meet. Been there ~ done that quite a few times...

Lance

Date: 08/12/19 00:03
Author: wpamtk

Wasn't "coulda bin a contenduh"  from Marlon Brando in "On the Waterfront," or am I having a senior moment? 

Date: 08/12/19 04:13
Author: overniteman

It was “On The Waterfront”.

Brando and Charlie in the back of the cab.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/12/19 07:36

wpamtk Wrote: > ...  Wasn't "coulda bin a contenduh"  from Marlon Brando in "On the Waterfront,"  ...
overniteman Wrote: > ... it was On the Waterfront ...

everybody is right! (snippet from 'reddit'):

Oh yeah, the quote in question:  *** "You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am.” ***   --Robert DeNiro in “Raging Bull” as Jake LaMotta, quoting Marlon Brando as Terry Malloy in “On the Waterfront" 
( https://www.reddit.com/r/NoStupidQuestions/comments/2g4mz3/how_do_i_properly_quote_a_famous_line_from_the/ )

I've seen Raging Bull a few times, but have never seen On the Waterfront...

Lance/199

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/19 07:37 by santafe199.

Date: 08/12/19 09:33
Author: arizonaBNSF

Nice shots! What's with the rail off to the left in the photos? Is that part of an old spur or siding or is it just old rail laying around in such a way that looks like old track?

Date: 08/12/19 10:12

arizonaBNSF Wrote: > ...  What's with the rail off to the left ...

Good eye! I would imagine it's the old 'house' track, or some equivalent. I believe the Rock Island's old Maple Hill depot once stood on that same side of the main line (DT ABS in those days) just west of the crossing (behind me) I'm standing on...

Lance/199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/19 14:11 by santafe199.

Date: 08/12/19 13:32
Author: King_Coal

The sky brings out all the colours in the scene. Nice.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0603 seconds