Home Open Account Help 284 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Grain train at Heather

Date: 09/01/19 15:26
Grain train at Heather
Author: CBRL

Travelers on Highway 58 between Eugene and Chemult, OR wouldn't know there was a railroad running through the Cascades because so much of the line is hidden in tall trees.  I was hoping to get to Wicopee to shoot the train briefly heading west into the sun but I got lost and the sun went away anyway.  I went back toward Oakridge and caught the train at Heather, just before the Salt Creek Trestle, as a bit of sun poked through the trees.

Tom Trent
Eugene, OR

Date: 09/01/19 15:29
Re: Grain train at Heather
Author: callum_out

Uh, BNSF grain train on UP tracks, what am I missing?

Out

Date: 09/01/19 15:35

They are fairly common.  Of course the BNSF units were an ET44C4, Dash9, ES44DC and ES44C4, so UP put four six-axle motors mid-train.

Tom Trent
Eugene, OR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/19 14:15 by CBRL.

Date: 09/01/19 16:09
Author: bradleymckay

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Uh, BNSF grain train on UP tracks, what am I
> missing?
>
> Out

BNSF probably has to turn the train over to UP at first major interchange point (which would be Portland). Likely canola meal from Canada.

Allen

Posted from Android

Date: 09/01/19 17:10
Author: callum_out

Interesting, thanks guys.

Out

Date: 09/01/19 20:07
Author: BoostedFridge

CBRL Wrote:
> They are fairly common.  Of course the BNSF units
> were an ET44C4, Dash9, ES40DC and ES44C4, so UP
> put four six-axle motors mid-train.

Hey Tom, were the UP helpers manned, or run as DPU from the leaders?  I remember there being some talk about putting manned helpers back on this section of the line.

Date: 09/02/19 05:59
Author: texchief1

Nice shot!  

What is an ES40DC?

Thanks.

Randy Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 09/02/19 07:21

The mid-train helpers were not manned, although there were two 6-axle AC motors sitting in the yard at Oakridge and the dispatcher has asked a few trains heading up the hill if they need helpers.  I wonder if there is room to add four mid-train helpers on the hill - probably do that process back in Eugene.  An ES40DC is a 4,000 hp GEVO with DC traction motors.  Not a model you see on the UP but popular with BNSF, along with 4-axle GEVOs (C4s).  Heavy grades like the Cascades require 6 axles and AC motors.  Here is a shot of the mid-train helpers, along with my slogan "Uncle Pete has the Fleet to Beat the Wheat!"

Tom Trent
Eugene, OR

Date: 09/02/19 07:45
Author: Railbaron

Mid-train helpers on these grain and oil trains get added at Eugene. In fact it's safe to say that if you see a mid-train 3 or 4 unit helper, it was added at Eugene.

The soap opera of "Helpers at Oakridge" is just that - a soap opera. For months it was "on" and then cancelled again. Then around 6-weeks ago (as a guess) I got a note the helper pool at Oakridge was going to start with new boards established at Oakridge with enough engineers and trainmen to man 2 or 3 helpers per day. I do not know if those boards are still active though, although seeing power at Oakridge might indicate they are. Surprisingly, many trains still leave Eugene with 1 or 2 DP units on the rear (from what I've observed) making the manned helpers unnecessary. 

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/19 07:53 by Railbaron.

Date: 09/02/19 10:57
Author: MP555

CBRL Wrote:
>  An ES40DC is a 4,000 hp
> GEVO with DC traction motors.  Not a model you
> see on the UP but popular with BNSF

ES40DC is a model found only with Norfolk Southern.

> along with 4-axle GEVOs (C4s). 

6-axle C4s, 4 powered axles.

Date: 09/02/19 14:15

MP thanks - I misidentified BNSF 7651, it is an ES44DC.

Tom Trent
Eugene, OR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0592 seconds