Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Like Old Times on the SP Fillmore Branch

Date: 09/01/19 20:24
Like Old Times on the SP Fillmore Branch
Author: Fiftyfooter

Fillmore and Western 1059 looking like the old days running over the trestle and thru the orange groves!

Date: 09/01/19 20:33
Re: Like Old Times on the SP Fillmore Branch
Author: CPRR

Funny you should post this. There has been a great deal of discussion on the Headsupcoastline group concerning this line. The F&WRWy contract is up in 2021, the line needs 2 million in repairs, VCTC  commissioner wants them gone. I do not know the financial situation of F&W, but I have read that even Filmore is wondering if there could be someone better. 

Any F&W employees care to comment? Any management? Are we doing tons of movie work? Are the bills being paid? Can F&W fix the bridges that need to be fixed? Will UP sell the line with only one(1) costumer?

Date: 09/02/19 07:56
Author: bradleymckay

CPRR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Funny you should post this. There has been a great
> deal of discussion on the Headsupcoastline group
> concerning this line. The F&WRWy contract is up in
> 2021, the line needs 2 million in repairs, VCTC
>  commissioner wants them gone. I do not know the
> financial situation of F&W, but I have read that
> even Filmore is wondering if there could be
> someone better. 
>
> Any F&W employees care to comment? Any management?
> Are we doing tons of movie work? Are the bills
> being paid? Can F&W fix the bridges that need to
> be fixed? Will UP sell the line with only one(1)
> costumer?

What's the reason why the VCTC wants them gone?

Allen

Posted from Android

Date: 09/02/19 08:57
Author: webmaster

CPRR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Funny you should post this. There has been a great
> deal of discussion on the Headsupcoastline group
> concerning this line. The F&WRWy contract is up in
> 2021, the line needs 2 million in repairs, VCTC
>  commissioner wants them gone. I do not know the
> financial situation of F&W, but I have read that
> even Filmore is wondering if there could be
> someone better. 
>

The discussion was here:  https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,4855379

I don't necessarily think VCTC wants them gone.  On the contrary the commission wants a tourist train on the line.  However, someone is going to have to pay for the needed work to keep the line open. Commission management has been publically vocal that they are not going to put any more public money into the branch line.  While neighboring counties to the south have a transportation sales tax, Ventura County does not.  Local money is tight and pays for Metrolink, freeway projects, and intercity bus service.  The goal is for the branch line to break even. 

In the past the movie business would have generated a good portion of money, but that business has dried up in the past decade.  Hollywood is no longer the only place movies and TV shows are made.  The Southern California production pie piece is smaller than it was in the past.  There are not many big budget motion pictures made anymore anyway with streaming taking a bite from the theater business. When a train scene is required, digital is cheaper or the scene is written out to save money.

If someone has millions laying around you could probably buy the F&W and fix up the bridges and keep running. It is an expensive branch to maintain with dozens of actively protected grade crossings, many bridges, and miles of tracks with old ties dating back to the 30s.  The past couple of years the Fillmore and Western Railway has put a lot of effort trying to raise revenue.  I don't think someone else can do much better.  

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0442 seconds