Home Open Account Help 263 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Golden hour for the 'other' guys

Date: 09/10/19 08:07
Golden hour for the 'other' guys
Author: santafe199

If you’re a railfan from just about anywhere on the planet and you hear the name ‘Cheyenne’ mentioned, one railroad springs immediately to mind. Union Pacific. Followed closely by such terms as: Big Boy, Centennial, City of____, Reefer Block, Super Van, Archer, Speer, Borie, Harriman, Dale, Sherman, Hermosa(and the list goes on). But 99.99% of the time NOBODY thinks ‘C&S’, nor its modern day equivalent ‘BNSF’.

I grew up learning many things from my father. Neither one of us were college educated, but he pounded a lifetime’s worth of common sense into my head. (And some of it even took root… ;^). But one thing I learned mostly by watching him was his sense of fair play. It was borderline legendary. Unless it was my little league baseball team he nearly always rooted for the underdog. I suppose that came from his own observation of 50+ years of pre-Bill Snyder football at Kansas State University.

So be it. With my late father’s fair play firmly in mind I’m posting 5 recent photographic endeavors from this place called Cheyenne. And the ONLY yellow you get is what you see up in the heavens! Enjoy…

1. The BNSF yard office commands its own respect against the setting sun.

2. A tranquil yard scene looking off to the northwest.

Date: 09/10/19 08:08
Re: Golden hour for the 'other' guys

3. 4. & 5. Three different looks at a predecessor corporate color: BNSF 1652 is still in Cascade Green from days gone by. With a bit of fill-flash assistance in image #4.
Five artsy photos taken in that other Cheyenne, WY on July 28, 2019.

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 09/10/19 08:14
Author: bobk

Great shots!

Date: 09/10/19 08:33
Author: texchief1

Nice shots, Lance!  Is Cheyenne a crew change point on that Sub that run through Cheyenne?

Thanks.

Randy Lundgren

Date: 09/10/19 09:22
Author: Ritzville

NICE sunset look at the BNSF in Cheyenne. Looks like some workers from Colorado from the plates on the autos.

Larry

Date: 09/10/19 10:12
Author: highgreengraphics

Lots of people drive there from Northern Colorado as is thought to be a better place to live than Cheyenne. I have lived in both places and not sure if that is true, but such is the way it is perceived by many. And yes, Cheyenne is a crew change point. === === = === JLH

Date: 09/10/19 10:20

highgreengraphics Wrote: > ...  yes, Cheyenne is a crew change point ...

Thanks Jim! I couldn't say for sure...   Lance

Date: 09/10/19 11:16
Author: bmarti7

Lance - great pics - love no. 5 with a classic sunset shot. Interesting fact: beyond the I-25 overpass, the BNSF Front Range Sub passes through FE Warren AFB which is home to one of the three, remaining Minuteman Missle Wings.

BB

Date: 09/10/19 15:02
Author: mojaveflyer

Nice work, Lance!

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 09/11/19 18:04
Author: BNSF-6432

Sweet series!

PQM

Date: 09/12/19 01:01
Author: Odyssey

Thanks for the post Lance!
A nice set of sunsets! and ya, the ole
C&S heritage is there. Certainly worth a
drive-by every time I pass through or stay in
Cheyenne.

Odyssey
Evergreen, CO

Date: 09/13/19 16:08
Author: ns1000

NIICE..!!

I like Pic 2!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0468 seconds