Home Open Account Help 379 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A new axle/Traction Motor for BNSF 9000

Date: 09/10/19 15:17
A new axle/Traction Motor for BNSF 9000
Author: msns2557

Had to go to Pueblo Colo this am for a Dr Appt. (More tests to come). While we were there we made a quick trip over to the BNSF/UP Yards there as it seems ya never know what might be there or what one might witness. As these shot's attest. For me, this is a first to see this performed. Better half was telling me what was going on and it happened as we sat there and observed it. BNSF SD70ACe 9000 gets a new rear axle/TM installed. Hulcher provided the lift. And it didn't take very long. We actually left for abt an hour or so and came back thru the yard area and everything was gone, except the 9000. Looks like she will be ready to roll once again.  Thanks for looking.(All shots today, Sept 10, 2019 in Pueblo Co), Kristie

Date: 09/10/19 15:48
Re: A new axle/Traction Motor for BNSF 9000
Author: miralomarail

Thanks for those interesting photo's and say Hi to Ben , I hope he's doing well

Date: 09/10/19 16:44
Author: DynamicBrake

I sure wouldn't want to be the hardhat on the ground in that first shot!  That can't be a very comforting feeling, knowing the consequence hanging above you.  Who determines who that person will be...the flip of a coin?  Thanks for sharing an interesting sequence.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 09/10/19 17:07
Author: JimBaker

It is called 'FAITH'.

James R.(Jim) Baker
Whittier, CA

Date: 09/10/19 17:14
Author: HotWater

DynamicBrake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I sure wouldn't want to be the hardhat on the
> ground in that first shot!  That can't be a very
> comforting feeling, knowing the consequence
> hanging above you.  Who determines who that
> person will be...the flip of a coin?  Thanks for
> sharing an interesting sequence.
>
> Kent in CArmel Valley

Not a problem, as he really is NOT under anything that would fall on him. I've been in the same position once or twice, and was always outboard of anything lifted above.

Date: 09/10/19 17:54
Author: CM80-46

It’s incredible the lifting power of those Boom Cats! Would have been a 150ton Derrick Crane back in the day and taken longer with even more people. Lowboy the Cat in make the lift and scaddale, The invoiceis emailed to the locomotive shop boss. 

Date: 09/10/19 18:42
Author: mttrainman1

Usually (at least in my experience) an idler axle is applied in place of the faulty traction motor in the field and the loco is routed to a shop for a replacement traction motor. If memory serves me correctly, there was a time when GE AC60's on CSX were constantly getting idler wheels applied. I was told it was due to a higher viscosity traction motor lube leaking out constantly and causing failures in the field.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/10/19 19:58
Author: Foamductor

Your memory isn't wrong. AC44's built around the same time  for various railroads also had the same issue. Something to do with the change in oil viscosity and seals that were not designed for it IIRC. 

mttrainman1 Wrote:
> Usually (at least in my experience) an idler axle
> is applied in place of the faulty traction motor
> in the field and the loco is routed to a shop for
> a replacement traction motor. If memory serves me
> correctly, there was a time when GE AC60's on CSX
> were constantly getting idler wheels applied. I
> was told it was due to a higher viscosity traction
> motor lube leaking out constantly and causing
> failures in the field.
>
> Posted from Android

Date: 09/11/19 02:13
Author: ts1457

Foamductor Wrote:
> Your memory isn't wrong. AC44's built around the
> same time  for various railroads also had the
> same issue. Something to do with the change in oil
> viscosity and seals that were not designed for it
> IIRC. 

That's interesting. I was thinking that you would have less problems with AC traction motors because they do not come unwound in the manner of the DC ones. I hope the oil problem has been solved, but I wonder how often you have to remove a AC traction motor in the field?

Date: 09/11/19 06:32
Author: Hookdragkick

Hulcher, is never too far away--like a stalking butler. I watched them boom-up BNSF 599 in Belen a few years ago. A part of me wanted to remind them of its former "moniker". I'm sure they're a superstitious bunch.

Date: 09/12/19 17:46
Author: captain

One would think they would block it up before working under it. Captain

Date: 09/19/19 20:28
Author: Gerrypaul

I absollutely love the machinery Hulchers uses. Those are CAT pipelayers converted to hoist railcars/locomotives for repairs and derailment clean up.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0537 seconds