Home Open Account Help 223 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > The Denver Pacific Railway

Date: 09/13/19 17:42
The Denver Pacific Railway
Author: Bob3985

The other day I mentioned how the old Denver Pacific Railway trackage comes right through the Holly Frontier Refinery and up into the east end of the Cheyenne UP yard.
One of the tracks in the coke loading racks is called the DP Main.
So in the first photo we are looking down the old DP right of way through the refinery and the track that runs straight is the old DP right of way.
Turning to the north we look up the DP right of way which curves east and then back west to enter the UP yard under the Logan Avenue overpass.
One of these days I will head out south of town and photograph more of the old right of way and post it for you.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 09/13/19 18:22
Re: The Denver Pacific Railway
Author: highgreengraphics

The old bridge over Crow Creek before the uphill climb to Athol can be seen from I-80, and the grade is located plainly behind Palomino Industries off the S. Greeley Highway across from the race track Most can be followed easily on Google Earth. Farther up the Hill, some spikes and tie plates can be found still. Mr. Pannell put together a tour from Terry Ranch some time ago which was very interesting; perhaps another could be in the future also. === === = === JLH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/19 18:25 by highgreengraphics.

Date: 09/13/19 20:17

Yes I have been observing the old DP right of way since I moved here in 1976. That is the section of right of way I will go out and photograph next.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 09/13/19 20:57
Author: ATSFSuperChief

Because of your tip Bob I have also seen it from US 85, and then from the Frontier Days return trip with the Sherman Hill Model Railroad Club I was a dome host and saw and mentioned all the old right of way visible from the line from Carr to Speer , a couple from England had made the trip before and were very glad that I mentioned it. So very many thanks to you Bob, you are a great friend. Glad to be a retired steam engineer from a floating industry, along with you from the great Steve Lee UP Steam Program..

Don Allender

Date: 09/13/19 22:19
Author: Odyssey

Thanks to all of you knowledgeable gents for adding
to the Denver & Pacific story.  Will have to do some
more exploring next time I'm in and around Cheyenne.

Odyssey
Evergreen, CO

Date: 09/14/19 01:34
Author: Midnight_Goat

In your first photo from right to left you have the bone, straight, and pocket with the new plant lead taking off to the left. We no longer use the coker spur (Savage spots and pulls the coker) but we do spot the plant one racks which are adjacent to the coker spur.

Ryan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/19 01:35 by Midnight_Goat.

Date: 09/14/19 06:18

Midnight_Goat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In your first photo from right to left you have
> the bone, straight, and pocket with the new plant
> lead taking off to the left. We no longer use the
> coker spur (Savage spots and pulls the coker) but
> we do spot the plant one racks which are adjacent
> to the coker spur.
>
> Ryan
Thanks Ryan for your update on the trackage down there. I am not surprised of the name changes that took place along with the implementation of work order feedback.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 09/14/19 08:18
Author: TCnR

A Denver and Pacific right of way story would be interesting. The Piedmont article worked out really well, complimenting the First 20 years theme.

There seems to be quite a few abandoned town and RoW stories out there, it might be a nice recurring feature.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0436 seconds