Home Open Account Help 251 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > DSRC files for 3rd embargo this year

Date: 09/15/19 08:58
DSRC files for 3rd embargo this year
Author: dsrc512

Due to an exceptionally wet year, and an additional six inches which fell  over two days on the east end of the line, Dakota Southern Railway filed another embargo due to high water issues.  The embargo was filed with the AAR on Friday, Sept. 13th.  It covers all stations east of Kimball

Separately, on Wednesday, Sept. 11th, a BNSF shuttle train loaded east of Presho, SD at Dakota Mill & Grain derailed and tipped over the second and third rearmost covered hoppers.  This occurred about half a mile west of Reliance, SD.  The remainder of the train was broken apart so as not to block three public crossings.  The trailing car was damaged as it cornered a tipped cover hopper.  It and the two trailing DP units were moved west to another public crossing for convenience.

As of Saturday, Sept. 14th, the two tipped cars were still on their sides.  A Bobcat and a tracked backhoe were seen moving dirt at the site on Friday when I drove by to take a look from the parallel highway.  Mr. Michael Wayne Williams, co-owner with his wife, Tammie Jo Williams, of DSRC was at the derailment site.  He met with me soon after but declined to say what caused the derailment.  It occurred at slow speed.   Operation is restricted to 10 mph.  One of the two tipped cars did not pop its hatch covers.

The Lyman County Sheriff's office has a Facebook page which displays several photos taken by one of his officers.    

Alex Huff      

Date: 09/15/19 14:46
Re: DSRC files for 3rd embargo this year
Author: funnelfan

Thanks for the info. I had to look at the area on a map, but Kimball is about 20 miles to the east of the Missouri River crossing at Chamberlain, SD, and Reliance is about a dozen miles to the west of the latter place. A couple years ago there was a very similar derailment on Washington & Idaho Rwy (The now defunct sister RR to the DSRC) where several cars just head of the DPU power tipped over.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0406 seconds