Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Weekly Night Shot #28 - Searchlight signals at Davis CA

Date: 09/15/19 20:31
Weekly Night Shot #28 - Searchlight signals at Davis CA
Author: AlcoRSD15

"Weekly Night Shot" moves to the Western board this week, since the photos were taken yesterday (Weekly Night Shots #1-27 were posted on the Nostalgia board). Yesterday, Ron L and I went to Davis CA to photograph the last searchlight signals on SP's Sacramento to Oakland Cal-P line.  I couldn't decide which one to post, so here are three photos.  The first one is on the east leg of the wye to the California Northern RR.  Second one, looking east on the Cal-P main as a Capitol Corridor train loads and unloads passengers.  Third, (looking west) a time-spanning juxtaposition of a searchlight signal and a Siemens SC-44 Charger.  Two eras in one!
- Eric Blasko

Date: 09/16/19 04:33
Re: Weekly Night Shot #28 - Searchlight signals at Davis CA
Author: UP951West

LIKE your first shot the best of my silent friends, the searchlight signals. I hate to see them go away.  Thanks for sharing your fine work. --Kelly

Date: 09/16/19 09:59
Author: atsf121

I’m surprised they have lasted so long, especially when SP rebuilt the corridor to bi-directional two main track CTC in the mid-90’s.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/16/19 12:42
Author: santafe199

I do love the night! 42+ years-worth now. It has always been a blast to set up the tripod, focus in and take your best stab at the length of exposure time needed. Lotsa by-guess & by-golly in those far-off early days...

Posted from Android

Date: 09/16/19 13:00
Author: 567Chant

The Charger appears as if it could serve as a wild animal exhibit.
...Lorenzo

Date: 09/16/19 15:14
Author: AlcoRSD15

Yup, you were never sure how the night photos turned out until you got the developed slides back. A bit easier now in the digital age.
- Eric B.

Date: 09/16/19 20:25
Author: usmc1401

SP redid these searchlight signals in the 1994 1995 time frame before the merger. With PTC now in effect they may stay for a long time. Or not. The signal bridge east of the station still has serchlight signals also.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0423 seconds