Home Open Account Help 292 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Late summer on the Pocatello Sub

Date: 09/16/19 07:48
Late summer on the Pocatello Sub
Author: bobdavis

Still hardly a trace of fall color yet - last year it was near peak on September 20th - but there were trains running on the UP Pocatello Sub on Saturday the 14th and the weather was good.  A tie program had one of the two main tracks thru Lava Hot Springs, Idaho out of service, so there was some extra radio talk to make it a little easier to figure out what was next.  First pic of the day was at McCammon, ID - the ZKCBR (Kansas City-Portland Brooklyn) west with a pretty good sized stack train including a block of trailers midtrain.  A while later, the DS told the M of W folks that he had three eastbounds out of Pocatello to get through the work area.  First one was the ZBRG3 (Brooklyn-Chicago Global 3) at the big curve just west of Pebble siding, with 50 or so cars including 5 ARMN reefers head out.  Those may have been loads out of Wallula, WA that used to move on a dedicated reefer train.  Later in the afternoon, I got a westbound grain train for Jerome, ID, at the east end of Soda Springs with 107 loads.  One way to deal with the code line that's just about everywhere along the Poky Sub and always on the side you want to shoot from, is to shoot under it!  I'm pretty sure that's 9,682' Sherman Peak in the background.  All in all, not a bad day - 7 trains in 8 hours.  Hopefully the maple leaves along the Portneuf River will start changing soon and another trip will be in the works. 

Bob

Date: 09/16/19 08:02
Re: Late summer on the Pocatello Sub
Author: SPgoletablock

Sweet second shot.

Date: 09/16/19 09:27
Author: HH

SPgoletablock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sweet second shot.

Amen!
(The others are nice, too)

Hopmere Hank

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/19 09:28 by HH.

Date: 09/16/19 09:41
Author: JFArrFan

Very interesting!

Jonathan Fischer
West Seattle, WA

Date: 09/16/19 09:42
Author: Ritzville

Really NICE series of a pretty area. Have stayed in Lava Hot Springs many times in the past.

Larry

Date: 09/16/19 10:27
Author: CBRL

Beautiful country out there - thanks for the fine shots!

Tom Trent
Eugene, OR

Date: 09/16/19 11:13
Author: Bob3985

I concur with photo #2 being a great catch.
I remember on one of our trips we swapped crews at Montpelier and as we were going through Lava Hot Springs the pilot engineer told me about a sight out west of town.
So as we were rounding curves out there he said look down in the stream as we pass.
Lo and behold there were some skinny dippers and so I acknowledged our presence with a blast on 3985's whistle and I gathered some attention from the stream.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 09/16/19 15:59
Author: bobk

Nice shots!

Date: 09/16/19 17:08
Author: bmarti7

Certainly one of the most scenic areas of the UP.

BB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/19 23:14 by bmarti7.

Date: 09/16/19 21:29
Author: SantaFe9820

Sweet shots! I'm living in Grace temporarily so I get to these spots quite a bit. Where are you standing for the shot at the big curve? I can't seem to find enough elevation to make a shot work out.

Date: 09/17/19 08:42
Author: SP8595

Great trio!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0378 seconds