Home Open Account Help 238 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > a Flint Hills good morning

Date: 10/03/19 09:43
a Flint Hills good morning
Author: santafe199

I remember my own 70s & 80s trips through Matfield at sunrise. Twinkling green signals beckoning forward movement. Riding home in some blue & yellow 6-axle outfit. Digging out the shades. Fighting off the sleep-inducing drone of dynamic brakes. Watching Chase County wake up from inside the cab. Looking up at all the spots I’ve gleefully hiked up on to burn Kodachrome.

Realizing… I really am getting paid to do this… (…yawwwnn..! What time is it? …I’d like a ½ order of B&G, w/ sausage patties, orange juice and a large glass of milk… ) Patience, kid! You’ve still got a little over 30 miles to go. The S&S Café will still be there on W 6th St in Emporia when you tie up…

1. BNSF 4196 glides eastbound through the S-curve just east of the east siding switch at Matfield Green, KS @ 7:03 AM on March 8, 2016.

Izzat coffee ready, yet?
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/19 09:44 by santafe199.

Date: 10/03/19 09:51
Re: a Flint Hills good morning
Author: Fridge48

Lance, others have said it, but you certainly have a knack for spinning a great yarn.  You can really hold the audience's attention...at least mine!  Thank you.

Date: 10/03/19 10:15
Author: skinem

I don't know if the 'l'accent aigu' will ever have made the ol' S&S Cafe more cosmopolitan. I preferred it after getting in late and blitzing a few of Emporia's finer watering holes. Some how it seemed to make their food better, but that's just me. Nice shot. Thanks for the memories.

Date: 10/03/19 10:23
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE shot and interesting narrative!

Larry

Date: 10/03/19 11:10
Author: bmarti7

the beautiful Flint Hills look great, even in winter gray and brown. Thanks for posting.

BB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/19 15:42 by bmarti7.

Date: 10/03/19 11:57
Author: Mudrock

Good morning Lance. I really like your photography!

Chris

Date: 10/03/19 21:40

Thank you, sir... I really like the scenery I'm blessed to shoot in! :^)

Lance/199

Date: 10/05/19 12:18
Author: texchief1

Nice one, Lance!  I have shot many from that exact spot many times.  Great place to shoot.  Have you been there lately?Somebody told me the weeds have gotten high where you park.

Thanks.

Randy Lundgren

Date: 10/05/19 15:34

texchief1 Wrote: > ...  Have you been there lately?

Not this year, but I think I was there once or twice in '18. It's a good idea to carry some large "gardening" tools any time you're out in the Hills...

Lance

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.046 seconds