Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > PNWR caboose in Olympia, WA

Date: 11/06/19 15:38
PNWR caboose in Olympia, WA
Author: seod

I went to downtown Olympia, WA on Sunday on my way to a friends house to work on his model RR and I thought I had better get a picture of this caboose before it is burned to the ground. It looks like h*ll to me what a butcher job. It sure is sad that the Olympia and Belmore RR (a G&W affiliate) put it where it could be destroyed. It is on a spur track that is right next to a large amount of RV ranchers so I don't think that helps much and it is next to a road also. It doesn't look like anybody has gotten inside yet so far.

I was looking through my slide collection and I got it back on Feb 14,1998 at Linton, OR. I lit it up with 4 #25 flash bulbs. It sure looked a lot better back then. It is the former SP 4757 C 50-9. (I fixed the heritage thanks Lou)

My friend is looking for a caboose and I know he would take a lot better care of it than it is being taken care of now but I doubt it is for sale well at least until it is a burned out hulk than maybe.

Scott O'Dell

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/19 21:15 by seod.

Date: 11/06/19 16:13
Re: PNWR caboose in Olympia, WA
Author: trainjunkie

Definitely looks like a C-50-9 but I doubt it was numbered 4797. IIRC, the highest SP C-50-9 number was 4774. They were the last cabooses built new for SP though.

Date: 11/06/19 16:26

OK I was just copying what I read. Anybody have the history of the cab I sure would appreciate it. I did some looking and have not found anything except for what I wrote down.

Scott O'Dell

Date: 11/06/19 16:36

I looked around too and only found the same thing you did but it would be interesting to find out it's correct SP heritage. Maybe "Roustabout" Lou can chime in?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/19 16:39 by trainjunkie.

Date: 11/06/19 16:46
Author: doge_of_pocopson

Wait - I thought graffiti only happens in Cali? :)

Date: 11/06/19 17:14

Olympia has a very hippie downtown with a lot of "artists".

Scott O'Dell

Date: 11/06/19 19:48
Author: roustabout

My list shows that it was SP 4757 originally. I spent a litle time in #4 when it was our office in Linnton in 1998 (right after I was promoted to engineer and forced to the north end of the system).  Most of my cab time was either #1 on the Corvallis Local or #2 here and there. Sad to see it end up like that!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/19 19:52 by roustabout.

Date: 11/07/19 09:19

Thanks for the info Lou. 4757 makes sense.

Date: 11/07/19 10:19
Author: PHall

Interesting that they put on "windshields" on the end railings when they converted it to a "shoving platform".
Nice touch for the guys protecting the move.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0446 seconds